Product Design Operations Manager
NY, DC, SF, LA, Remote
Posted 5 days ago
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the role:
We’re building a best-in-class cross-disciplinary design team at Vox Media, from our Product team that builds the best platform for digital publishing in the industry, to our Brand team that works across a suite of powerhouse editorial networks, to our Revenue team that designs performant ad products and partners with our sales team and sponsors. At Vox Media, you can be part of a remote friendly culture with people in New York, DC, San Francisco, Austin, Portland, and quite a few cities in between. Our jobs are well compensated and come with excellent and progressive benefits—including flexible hours, generous paid parental leave, and trans-inclusive healthcare.
Increasingly, our workload requires strong and intricate coordination between our respective design teams in partnership with product managers, engineers, editorial teams and stakeholders across the company. We’re looking for an experienced product design manager with a deep understanding and appreciation of design and its processes to build and implement the framework for deploying design resources across the organization. In this role you will manage the pipeline of work, enabling our designers and their team managers the space to focus on the work while you help control the flow of incoming projects by breaking them into tangible tasks and managing all communication between team members, partners and stakeholders. You’ll also be tasked with advocating for design, its value to the business and positioning designers for success within projects and the organization at large.
What you’ll bring:
- Significant years of experience with demonstrable leadership skills in design project management or creative production experience
- Experience shepherding high quality software or interactive design through a business environment
- Experience creating processes and frameworks for the smooth and efficient workflows of a design team
- Experience working with a Product Design team in the creation of digital products and a knowledge of associated roles, responsibilities and work processes. Experience with lean agile teams a plus
- An understanding of the practice of brand design
- An appreciation for design practice and process to appropriately advocate for design when other members of the team aren't there
- A proven track record of solid written and verbal communication, organizational and leadership experience.
- A flexible leader with the ability to create clarity within complex and sometimes ambiguous work environments and who is comfortable with adapting to rapidly changing circumstances
- A fundamental knowledge of project management software (Jira, Asana, Basecamp, Teamgantt, Retrium, etc.)
- Able to manage client relationships with poise and professionalism
What you’ll do:
- Your primary objective is to make the design organization as effective as possible by enabling designers and their managers to focus on the work.
- You’ll possess a broad portfolio level view of the work and strategy through constant communication with partner teams and Design Leadership
- Be the operational face of the design team, leading all communication and deliverables in partnership with the Design Leadership
- Make sure that the processes related to design activities run smoothly
- You’ll facilitate the team’s understanding of priorities, identify milestones connecting similar work streams, manage risk, streamline communications, articulate standards for tools and processes, align schedules, and ensure the team has the people and resources it needs.
- Manage the interaction between designers and other functions such as product management, engineering, research, recruiting, and so on
- Handle the logistics of relationships with external parties, such as contractors or vendors.
- Manage and track design resources across the organization – linkage between the Concert, Coral, Consumer Products, NYM and Chorus Product Design teams
- Partner to the Brand team when cross functional collaboration is needed
- Drive open flow of communication and knowledge sharing across design teams, scalable processes and workflow structures, facilitated by common tool sets/platforms.
- A resource for designers to stay informed of timeline changes and all changes in priorities
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.