Mid weight Service Designer
London, England, United Kingdom
Department: UX Research & Design Team
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working Pattern: Full time
Location: London, Camden. You must have the right to work in the UK (currently remote due to COVID-19)
The Service Designer will join the FutureLearn UX, Research and Design team to create opportunities for FutureLearn’s continued growth. Embedded in a cross-functional team, the Service Designer will connect multiple work streams, simplify complex problems into continuous, compelling and cohesive service designs. You will need to be able to demonstrate relevant experience (5+ years) in a role that has been primarily focused on service design and service strategy. This will be FutureLearn’s first Service Designer, so it’s a big opportunity for the right person to shape the role and the area.
- Using an agile methodology, test service ideas by running experiments at different levels of sophistication, from early solution hypotheses to lo-fi prototypes and full-blown pilots.
- Work closely with product teams and user research to ensure service-level coherence of design and user experience.
- Proactively seek to identify opportunities to develop and optimise service designs to reflect user needs and intentions.
- Lead knowledge sharing and good practice in service design and build a service design community within the company.
- Work closely with Product Management and leadership to continually refine the understanding of product requirements, influencing and supporting decision making and planning.
You are able to lead the end-to-end service design process, from framing a challenge, to research and insights, to concept and implementation. You are hands-on in all the aspects of service design, as well as mentor and guide others to learn these skills.
You can evidence your skills with examples of work grounded in insights about people, where you’ve applied your research, strategy and design skills to solve real-world human problems to change organisations (not just artistic or academic exercises).
In addition to the core skills required of a service designer, we will be looking for you to demonstrate the following competencies:
Strategic thinking: You love ambiguous problems. You are a master in making the complex simple and use the narratives you create to engage stakeholders in your work. You can easily switch from macro to micro; from understanding the strategic value and business dynamics of FutureLearn’s product or service, to caring about the details of the design and UX.
Communication: You are able to speak visual language, business language and operational language. You are an excellent communicator with great instincts for capturing thoughts and synthesising them into a captivating story.
Collaboration: You are confident and flexible and have experience working in interdisciplinary teams where harmonious collaboration is imperative. You enjoy building great relationships with colleagues, and giving and receiving honest feedback.
Evangelism: You have a strong design voice and point of view on where to go and rationale for why. You are comfortable presenting and liaising with senior stakeholders throughout the design process and will enjoy the challenge of championing the value of service design across the entire organisation.
- £50 – £60k (dependent on experience)
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Please submit a CV, cover letter and a link to your portfolio. On your cover letter please clearly explain what excites you about this role, and outline some of the key skills and experience you would bring to the role. This will help us determine your fit for the role and increase your application's chances of success.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
FutureLearn is an equal opportunities organisation who value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination. We are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented, including those from the LGBT+ community, neurodiverse people, people with disabilities, and those from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
We value all the great benefits that diversity brings and encourage everyone to bring their whole self at work, regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or disability.
We encourage freelancers and people who have been made redundant as a result of COVID-19 to apply for opportunities at FutureLearn. We believe that in these difficult times, good employers have to rise to the occasion and play their part in the community. At FutureLearn, we take care of each other.