Technical Product Manager (DC / NY / SF / Remote / Any)
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for a Technical Product Manager to help us execute on large-scale government projects and drive our vision forward.
You'll help us deliver on our mission of reimagining the digital services our government provides. Working directly with the government and across Nava’s engineering, design, and business teams, you’ll plan and develop long-term scalable solutions that improve the lives of millions of Americans. You care deeply about all users, whether they are government developers or members of the public, and are passionate about crafting simple and usable solutions.
You'll provide strategic guidance, mentorship and leadership to a team of product managers in order to execute on our mission. You'll be responsible for setting direction, removing obstacles and barriers, assessing business and technical impact, as well as managing and coaching a team of Product Managers who work on specific feature areas.You will have a significant strategic impact and will be uniquely positioned and empowered to make a huge impact on Nava's mission to reimagine how our government serves its people
What you’ll do
- Define the vision, goals, and measures of success, and oversee the implementation and operations of a cloud development platform for a large government agency.
- Understand, research and follow technical trends in the industry and in general. Assess emerging products and companies to measure their potential value or threat to the cloud development platform we are developing, as well as make recommendations on which new technologies to invest in or leverage.
- Grow and support a talented team of Product Managers who take pride in building high-quality, high-impact products and services that drive Nava's mission forward
- Work with designers, product managers, project managers and technical leads to discover and synthesize market research, user needs, business requirements, and technical approaches
- Define the direction, scope, and priority of projects, from high level initiatives to specific features, user stories, and business metrics
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to develop and ship projects
- Proactively socialize, iterate on, and build buy-in for product initiatives with the team, government partners, and other contractors
- Collaborate with the project management team to prioritize roadmap and inbound units of work
- Represent Nava’s outcome-centric and user-centric approach in discovery meetings with agencies and contractors
- Understand and communicate the needs of end users and population segments we serve and government partners we work with
- Measure product progress towards business goals or user needs and translate data insights into action
- Make tactical decisions to improve the design, define requirements, and generate stakeholder buy-in for our desired path forward
- Assess whether engineering estimates are correct, review technical specifications, architecture and networking plans, and act as the Product SME in security, scalability and infrastructure design discussions
- Ensure requirements and user stories are fully understood and that implementation plans match expectations
- Serve as a product spokesperson and subject matter expert to the technical/developer community
What we're looking for
- At least 5 years of experience as a Product Manager owning cloud developer platform products, e.g. at a Cloud Service Provider
- Experience/knowledge of Cloud technologies (AWS highly desirable)
- Experience developing products that are designed for a technical customer, and have scaled to solve enterprise-level problems
- Experience developing products for Enterprise or other similarly complex customers
- Demonstrated experience in developing programmatic approaches for global scaling, deep understanding of enterprise IT and cloud solutions, and a bias toward action and execution.
- Proven leadership managing at least two product lines or software projects simultaneously, and growing a team of 2+ Product Managers
- Demonstrated interest and experience in coaching and mentoring, helping their team to define strategies and solutions instead of telling them the answers
- Ability to influence decision-making at all levels within an organization, using a variety of skills and tools
- Strong bias towards action; ability to step up into team gaps and ambiguous situations to structure the team’s action plan
- Ability to execute with incomplete information; great product instincts and an ability to create order from divergent needs
- Ability to identify market trends and shifts that will affect product direction, and updating plans based on future expectations
- Ability to generate very strong product plans and build buy-in across more than one team, including government partners and other contractors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for technical, user experience, and project management trade-offs; enthusiastic and structured communicator
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative, and positive mindset
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous benefits and equity.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.