Product Manager - Bot Hardware
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, UK
Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
We are Retrieval Robotics Product Management. We are providing vision and leadership to ensure that the mechanical handling systems our engineering teams develop are always way ahead!
These systems are the heart of Ocado’s Smart Platform (OSP) and identifying opportunities that bring the maximum value to Ocado and our clients is central to our success.
We use tools such as GitLab, Jira, Roadmunk, G-Suite and Miro to manage the development of the elements of our system in a highly collaborative way.
How will I spend my days
You will be part of the Retrieval Robotics Bot Software product area, partnering with the engineering teams and working with relevant stream stakeholders to define, realise and deliver great products for our clients. This role partners directly with the Bot Development Engineering teams sharing accountability for key decisions, achieving commitments to the delivery plan and providing constructive challenges to focus effort on the missions that are important for Ocado Technology.
You will have responsibility for
Leading & Influencing
- Partners with Engineering Team Lead(s) to create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the development team
- Acts as the go-to person for the particular bot product area covered by the development team
- Establishes product alignment within Technology being the voice of the vision/strategy/priorities within the division
- Champions the product vision & ensures the plan is in line with vision and goals and continues to be fit for purpose throughout roadmap delivery
- Understands how their product fits in with the broader platform
- Provides product expertise based on a sound understanding of the platform and capability requirements, signposting to technical knowledge where needed
Insight & Innovation
- Actively seeks out opportunities for incremental value in achieving product goal commitments
- Works with other PMs to continuously improve realisation processes and policies that govern it
- Monitors progress, looking for ways to improve the product & make adjustments based on strategic goals
Stakeholders & Collaboration
- Applies strong emotional intelligence when working with other teams and departments to manage interdependencies between platforms and products effectively
- Builds strong relationships with team and stakeholders - establishing methods for obtaining product feedback
We’d like to hear from you if you have the following:
- You contribute to being part of a high performing product teams, working alongside engineering
- You respond positively to new / changing business requirements and prioritise accordingly
- You are highly organised and able to plan, manage, track and deliver effectively
- You are assertive but diplomatic and have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism
- You proactively solve problems, facilitating decision making processes and comfortable putting together recommendations based on insights drawn from data
- Experience with managing products built by engineering teams
- Knowledge of working with multiple functional areas, including product management, engineering
- Ability to work in a team effectively and / or work autonomously
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Defining product roadmaps, building collaboratively with design and engineering peers, and shipping at scale
- An understanding and appreciation for software development and design
- Strong technical skills and an analytical mind set
- Understanding of complex autonomous systems
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments
- Capture, documentation and communication of requirements to support product realisation
- Domain experience in mechatronics or similar domains;
- Domain knowledge in embedded systems;
- Ability to estimate the value of software features, analysis, discovery and validation work, performing cost-benefit analysis and constructing business cases.
What we can offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.#LI-KM1