Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Listening to Albertans. Going deeper to understand who they are and where they’re going. Translating the complex world of banking and investing into brilliantly simple solutions. Through all this, we believe we can create happiness. This is the ATB way.
Job Number: REQ554
Location: Calgary, AB
Apply by: Wednesday May 27th 2020
# Positions available: 1
Leader Name: Mike Barnlund
Is this position Internal Only: Yes
We need a high performing Product Owner to help build, launch, and grow ATB’s mobile digital bank, Brightside.
Brightside is a team that does operates as a startin within ATB. We pride ourselves on customer centricity, curiosity, and (respectfully) challenging. We aspire to bring the best of both worlds together - a fun (but intense) atmosphere and team, built on the solid foundations of ATB Financial. We push to take calculated risks, experiment rapidly, and solve real customer problems.
Today, customers expect products on the same level as what they receive from Apple, Google, AirBnB, Uber, and countless other technology-focused companies that our customers interact with on a daily basis. Our job is to discover problems and design products and experiences in the same class as the world’s best.
The Brightside Product Team will provide great opportunities to people who aren’t afraid to wear multiple hats and step up where it’s needed. Despite what you might read in some blogs, launching a new bank is no joke and we’re looking for people up to that challenge. Ability to deliver is more important than years of experience or education.
The ultimate accountability for the Product Owner role is to get the product built right. It’s focused on tactical execution and ruthless prioritization of the work being done in the short-term horizon (3 months), but requires a deep understanding of the long-term vision, strategy, and success measures for the product.
Characteristics we’re looking for in candidates for this role:
- Empathy for people.
- A love of discovering big problems and unmet needs.
- A relentless approach to rapid testing and iterating.
- Insatiable curiosity about emerging technologies and how they are changing people’s lives.
- Comfort questioning anything.
- Skills in human observation (understanding what someone isn’t saying).
- You embrace agile & lean principles.
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity.
- You thrive with autonomy.
- You play to win and know how to do it.
Responsibilities - Build the Product Right
- Know and communicate the customer problem the product solves, and why this solution is the right one.
- Know and communicate how the product supports Brightside’s product strategy, and how product success is measured.
- Report to Brightside team on progress towards objectives.
- Create, maintain, and communicate a “story map” level product definition with the Product Manager.
- Support tech lead or solution architect in solution design.
- With the scrum team, translate the story map into a backlog of actionable user stories (as defined by our agile process).
- Prioritize product defect fixes.
- Prioritize the backlog and ensure it meets the requirements of our agile process.
- Plan sprints with the scrum team.
- With the tech lead, understand the impact of the product’s technical debt and manage it accordingly.
- Be an expert on the detailed workings of the product.
- Ensure the product delivers a great user experience (supported by Product Design & Research).
- Know the product in and out, and be personally accountable for the overall quality of the product.
- With the product manager and growth manager, grow the product with rapid experimentation.
- Socialize product updates across Brightside, including release notes content.
Purpose. Growth. Advancement. Fun. Rewards… learn about our perks and benefits.
A little about Brightside:
Brightside is a new mobile banking app, offering Albertans easy and fun tools to save for the things they love.
Brightside is part of ATB, made up of a team of more than 100 people, operating under the same banking license and regulations as ATB Financial. To learn more, visit hibrightside.ca. To learn more about atb, visit atb.com.
What happens next?
If you make the shortlist for this role, you will hear from us within 10 business days of the posting close date. We will also keep your application on file for future roles that you may wish to consider.
If your application is shortlisted, we might ask you to participate in a digital interview.
Stay in touch!