Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
This role provides UX expertise to underpin Ocado Technology's user focus, merging users and business needs to support the design of great products and solutions for our clients.
Working in the Ecommerce product stream, the UX Designer will support product and engineering teams using their visual awareness, UX skills and technical aptitude to design accessible, user centred solutions that meet commercial goals and deliver an amazing user experience.
Product people and engineers at all levels across the Ecommerce stream, Solutions Managers and Solutions PMs.
Role & Responsibilities
Product Alignment & Collaboration
- Have a flexible delivery focused approach, liaising with UX Lead/Senior Product Manager to understand and align UX effort and priorities with roadmap objectives/deadlines.
- Creation of UX deliverables that meet user & product stream missions/objectives.
- Monitor and track system usability when designing to ensure continuous and commercially sound improvements.
Researching & understanding user needs
- Recommend research topics and themes with UX Researchers & Product teams.
- Conduct simple design evaluations with the Product team and identify opportunities to validate designs.
- Use research insights to identify and prioritise opportunities, creating actionable design recommendations and iterations to product features.
- Share meaningful insights based on research efforts with other UX Design and Product colleagues.
- When designing, consider and use insights from touchpoints across the entire end-to-end service and the experience of different actors affected by the service.
- Contribute to the creation of customer journey flows and empathy maps to help visualise different actors' scenarios and flows for broader teams and stakeholders.
- Challenge ideas/problems and validate solutions using data and insights from end users, retailers and stakeholders.
- Facilitate design sprint workshops with UX, Product and Engineering teams to accelerate UX designs; turn agreed ideas into prototypes and ultimately build better solutions.
- Create and encourage feedback frameworks/loops to improve, validate and iterate solutions with Product and Engineering teams.
- Avoid bias when reviewing, shaping and validating ideas and solutions.
- Measure and monitor how usable and inclusive a solution/feature is.
- Mentor other designers about design thinking.
Interaction Design and Information Architecture
- Consider the user and business needs in understanding the effectiveness of existing Information Architecture structures, as well as making simple improvements to them.
- Choose the appropriate fidelity of a prototype, and be competent in making high fidelity interactive, shareable prototypes to translate ideas into interactions.
- Use prototypes to gain stakeholder buy-in and defend UX design decisions using insights and data with Product and Engineering teams.
- Create detailed wireframes to help developers build functionality.
- Create consistent compelling, delightful inclusive designs that are localisable, accessible and user friendly, using best practice collaborative design techniques (e.g versioning).
- Contribute to the design system and use typography and intuitive visual hierarchies to help the user understand a UI making designs consistent and coherent.
- Use data and research to influence, lead and explain the reasoning behind visual design and validate that designs are developed in line with the design specifications.
Leading & Influencing
- Help create a strong sense of purpose and mission for the UX team.
- Show empathy with product & engineering teams and customers.
- Mentorship and coaching for junior product team members.
- Evangelisation of customer needs in a compelling way to the department and engineering teams.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Relevant industry experience or technology business.
- Knowledge of working with mixed teams/functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI.
- Proven ability to plan, manage, track and deliver on commitments.
- Intellectual rigour, possesses relevant abilities and is able to pick up new skills quickly.
- Ability to work in a team effectively and/or work autonomously.
- Ability to prioritise in a fast-paced environment.
- Exposure to working with design and technology teams.
- Capturing business needs and user requirements to support product realisation.
- You contribute to being part of a high performing UX teams when working alongside product & engineering
- You are flexible and adapt to changing business needs and can prioritise work effectively
- You are self managing, organised and able to plan, track and deliver your work on time and to a high standard
- You have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism so that people will always want to have you in their teams
- You are comfortable with processing and visualising data to help create insight, solve problems and inform recommendations
- You are logical and take a structured approach even when there is ambiguity
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills with a good emphasis on careful listening
- You don't settle for good enough, you strive for great in every aspect of your work
- You share knowledge with others internally
What we can offer you
A relaxed, international, talented, creative and friendly environment, where we will provide you with the best tools to develop amazing stuff. We invest in our employees, ensuring we provide them with the best in-house and external training programs available.
- Flexible working hours with short Fridays
- Reduced hours in August
- Private Health Insurance
- GymForLess discounts
- Life Insurance
- Ticket Restaurant
- Ticket Transport
- Ticket Kindergarten
- Free fresh fruit, snacks, tea and coffee
- Monthly social events
- Table football, board games and Nintendo Switch
- Tech Talks and internal trainings
- Developer exchange programmes between centres
- English and Spanish language courses
We are right next to Sants station, a central area of Barcelona. We growing rapidly making it a very exciting time to join!
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.