Lead Product Designer
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the department
We’re a group of people that love to learn, collaborate, and solve large-scale problems. 2020 is a big year for us, and we’re looking for an inquisitive, curious and talented Lead Product Designer to join our team.
Your work will impact and influence the user experience of a product used by millions of people daily. As a Lead Product Designer, you will work closely with other designers, engineers, product managers, and other cross-functional stakeholders. While this is not a managerial role with direct reports, we expect our Lead Product Designers to lead by example and coach the rest of our organization into doing their best work.
If you’re a systems-thinking Lead Product Designer who’s excited to work on big, meaningful, and complex problems with real-world impact, come help us make the Internet better! We’d love to hear from you.
What you'll do
- Identify opportunities for cross-departmental work and understand the shared dependencies that connect all of our products and services.
- Work with engineering and product leaders to establish both near-term and long-term product vision.
- Help refine the Cloudflare design team culture and export our best practices to product teams across the organization.
- Actively contribute to documentation that helps our design team grow our skills and scale our practice.
- Develop and socialize decision-making frameworks to the broader product design team.
- Utilize quantitative and qualitative data and understand how to translate it into accessible service and interface design.
- Apply your product design skills throughout the product development lifecycle from researching and sketching to polished interface designs.
- Mentor and coach product designers, helping them grow in their skills and careers.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Clearly and effectively formulate direction and strategy for the team to build consensus.
- Deep empathy with, and understanding of users’ needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 7+ years product/UX design experience.
- Previous leadership experience a plus
- Technical expertise and a basic understanding of network services a plus
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.