UX Designer - Design System eCommerce
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
Posted 1 month ago
“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation...”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouses that we design in-house, our world-class talent constantly moves the goal posts of what is possible to achieve through sustained technological disruption.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
Based in Hatfield (16 min train commute from London King’s Cross), we also have offices in Krakow, Wroclaw, Barcelona & Sofia. With teams all over Europe.
What does the team do:
We are Shopping Platforms and we build the online shopping experience for our retailer’s customers. Working with retail partners around the world, our team strives to create the next-generation ecommerce experience that will change the way the world shops.
What would I be doing?
As a Senior UX Designer focusing on our Design System, your main focus will be to ensure its usability and adoption by all stakeholders. We’ve already started our Design System journey, but as we, the UX team, grow and more and more engineers are relying on it, we face an ever-growing challenge in making it the single source of truth for all our teams. Your role will consist of:
- Creating world-class design components, based on the best UI practices, following industry trends, and matching the highest accessibility standards.
- Maintaining our sketch library to make sure designers have an accurate and up-to-date knowledge of our design system, enabling them to build UIs in the most efficient way possible.
- Scaling our design system to every team in the department, working closely with iOS, Android, voice, and web engineers to create a common language we can all refer to.
- Documenting behaviors and states of our component to reduce uncertainty and development time.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Working closely with the UX Designers to make sure they are using the appropriate component in each solution they design.
- Maintaining and scaling our Design System to answer all the UX Team needs.
- Making sure the components we have answer the highest levels of accessibility.
- Creating a governance process to add new components to our Design System.
- Document current and future components, including all their possible states.
- Creating a Design System community within the department, to generate buy-in and constant engagement from other stake-holders in the design system.
- Elevating the UI of our design system to match an unrivaled level of delight from our users.
We'd like to hear from you if:
- You have actively created or helped to maintain, scaling, and documenting a design system.
- You are fluent in working with Abstract, Sketch, React storybook.
- You have keep understanding of the native guidelines from Apple, Material, Alexa and React web.
- You are detailed oriented, with a fine eye for misaligned pixels.
- You contribute to being part of a high performing UX teams when working alongside product & engineering.
- You have relevant industry experience or technology business
- You have proven ability to plan, management, track and deliver on commitment.
- You are able to work in a team effectively and / or work autonomously.
- You are able to prioritise in a fast-paced environment.
- You have exposure to working with design and technology teams.
- Commercial experience in working with Design Systems.
- An online portfolio, showing the breadth of your UX skills.
- Fluent English is required.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.