Senior Manager, Product Marketing, Government
San Francisco, CA
Planet Labs Inc.
Posted 1 month ago
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a strategic product marketer to help us grow the market opportunity for Planet’s data and analytics and enable business expansion through creative go-to-marketing strategies. You will be part of the broader marketing team, specifically sitting within the dynamic Product Marketing group.
As the Senior Manager, Product Marketer for the international government sector, you will intimately know our government customers across the globe -- their use cases and applications, how they buy, and what drives value for them. You will use that knowledge to drive sales enablement for our products and services; craft messaging and positioning for our offerings; build awareness to generate demand for our offerings through marketing campaigns; and drive launches for newly commercialized products that meet customer needs.
To be successful in this role, you will bring a clear perspective on how to sell or market innovative commercial products to government customers, with an appreciation for the different nuances of each country, region, and/or state, and an ability to drive a strategy around that perspective. An attention to detail and an eye for quality are critical to your success, along with an ability to grasp and present our product’s value proposition in a way that resonates and clearly articulates how we solve the unique problems within the government sector, and navigate their buying processes.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Collaborate with the sales, marketing, and product teams to support Planet’s go-to-market plans, and increase broad awareness of and insight into Planet’s industry leadership and core products and offerings.
- Understand the challenges and use cases that are core to target international governments, and build materials that communicate this. Materials could take the form of presentations, use cases, blog posts, op-eds, whitepapers, and think tank articles.
- Drive positioning & messaging to differentiate our solutions from the competition
- Support marketing campaigns with messaging and content that drives awareness and demand
- Support content creation for both internal and external audiences for use in sales presentations, proposals, and customer meetings
- Partner closely with the Product team sharing market and customer feedback, jointly developing use cases and personas, and supporting ongoing product launches
- Partner with the Customer Success team to identify and document customer references.
- Evangelize Planet’s value proposition at events, meet-ups, and other networking opportunities.
- Partner closely with other parts of the marketing organization, including demand generation, creative, and communications
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 5-7 years of work in product marketing
- Experience with international customers in the government and/or public sector
- Topnotch communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong analytical skills and ability to tie detailed analysis to larger strategy
- Self-starter with a sense of urgency to drive new business growth in different geographic markets
- Demonstrated effective collaboration in matrixes or highly cross-functional business settings.
- Ability to work independently and across time zones
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience working at public relations, Public Affairs, or marketing agencies
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.