Head of Product Growth
Head of Product Growth
We’re looking for an exceptional Product Growth leader to join GoCardless and be the founding member of our new Product Growth team.
GoCardless is on a mission to take the pain out of getting paid, so our customers can focus on what they do best. With the world shifting to a Subscription Economy, GoCardless is powering recurring payments across the globe via our world-first payments network. We’ve cut out the intermediaries by linking together direct debit schemes from around the world to create a simple way of pulling payments directly from customers’ bank accounts.
We process more than $15bn a year, for over 50,000 businesses in more than 30 countries, and we’re growing fast. Our API powers recurring payments for companies like Survey Monkey, Bulb and the Financial Times. It also enables partners including Xero, Quickbooks and Sage to help small businesses to save countless hours spent chasing customers for payments.
Product at GoCardless
We believe world-class Product Management is crucial to the continued success of our product and company. As a result, we’ve created an environment that ensures our Product Managers have the opportunity to constantly learn, are empowered to take calculated risks, and contribute to developing best practices that other companies emulate. Our goal is to be widely regarded as one of the best Product Management organisations in Europe.
We are now for the first time adding a Product Management role that is focused entirely on Product Growth i.e changing our product to directly drive user acquisition, expansion, conversion and retention. Although product management is a cross functional discipline, this new role has in its DNA the ability to get things done in a cross functional environment.
Our product team is focused on three areas:
- Shaping the future of the product: As a product-led organisation, having a clear and well thought through product strategy is critical to our business. Our Product Managers are the driving force behind this strategy, and are empowered to bring it to life with their teams.
- Prioritising which problems to solve and why: We take a data-driven approach to figuring out what problems we should solve and with what priority. We give our Product Managers the space to pose the right questions and empower them to make great decisions.
- Delivering to solve these problems: We believe in a collaborative partnership where the Product team focuses on outcomes, while Engineering and Design focus on how we get there. Product’s main role in execution is to guide teams to stay on track to deliver the optimal product impact.
This role adds a fourth pillar to the above, namely:
- Driving growth from within: Our product is why our customers love us, and so by Introducing and engendering a product- growth led strategy and culture within the company we can start to capitalise on this and build out exponential customer growth from within the product.
Our Product Development organisation has been growing rapidly and we currently have 14 cross-functional teams within our core Product Development organisation. As our first Growth Product Manager you will be the first member of the team to explicitly work in a more cross-functional team outside of core product development. While you’ll continue to work closely with core PD and our VP Product Management (your direct line manager), your “home” will be our cross-functional Small Business organisation, led by our VP Small Business.
We believe in incrementality and experimentation and so in the spirit of this ethos, you will start as a senior individual contributor (principal product manager), but as Product Growth expands and adds more value, there will be opportunities to build out your own team and switch into our manager track. You will work closely with Marketing and commercial leaders, as well as Engineering, Design, Data and Security to deliver the best results.
As a Head of Product Growth, your daily obsession will be focused on how can I drive more value from our products and get more customers to use it? We believe in autonomous teams, so you should expect a challenging and highly cross-functional role with tasks spanning the commercial and technical spectrum. Your primary focus will be in exploring and executing on how we can use our product to drive exponential customer growth, including:
- Building a deep understanding of customers’ needs and usage of our products, and owning the user funnels within the product to drive AARRR.
- Developing a vision for how we can use experimentation to drive growth from within the product, using a combination of scientific methods and creative approaches to drive step- changes to growth.
- Creating and delivering on a robust programme of product -led growth experiments & improvements.
- Analysing and obsessing over results and owning a set of key metrics in order to drive impact.
- Over communicating and collaborating cross- functionally in order to entrench a stronger growth mindset within core product development, while being sensitive to the complexities and long term sustainable growth of our platform.
What we’re looking for
We believe great Product Managers share common characteristics, and we look for these above all else:
- Problem analysis and prioritisation: Taking complex and ambiguous product problems and structuring these effectively. This includes clearly defining the problem space, the impact of the problem and the trade-offs made in making prioritisation decisions.
- Data-driven decision-making: Using data and broader market trends to support your trade-off decisions and problem impact estimations.
- Influencing and communication: Building relationships with your team, stakeholders and executives to deliver change effectively across your remit. This includes growing to become the ‘go-to’ person for your product area; translating complex, technical problems into understandable concepts; and convincing stakeholders of the best approach using structured reasoning.
- Customer advocacy: Understanding the needs of your key customers on an ongoing basis, and using this to drive effective prioritisation decisions.
- Shipping stuff: Working with your team to drive changes to completion, delivering consistent positive impact across your product area.
- Collaborative leaders: Product roles bring responsibility without direct authority. We’re looking for natural leaders who earn the trust of others with a collaborative style and great communication skills.
Our Head of Product Growth will drive ideas to fruition with ambition and sensitivity, getting buy-in from key stakeholders with a scientific approach and ruthless ambition for short AND long term growth. Our platform is our product and it’s currently undergoing a lot of large changes, so leaning into this with an open mind to learn, and plugging into the core PD team in order to run your experiments effectively is key to achieving positive outcomes.
Overall, we expect our Head of Product Growth to have proven that they have an exceptional ability to deliver fast and sustainable customer growth. Candidates should have a track record of success as a product leader within a fast growing organisation.
Bonus points for:
- Experience in a fast-growing scaleup environment
- Experience in fintech/payments
- Experience with API-based products
Our team come from a range of backgrounds, and we welcome diversity. If you’re unsure, please apply - we’d love to hear from you.