UX Researcher, Core
New York City
MongoDB is building the modern data platform of choice for developers looking to build applications faster and more reliably. We power some of the world’s most innovative technology products and services out of our offices worldwide, from New York to Sydney, Berlin to Dublin, and just about everywhere in between.
We’re searching for a UX Researcher on the Core Product Design team, focusing specifically on our Enterprise Tools, Server, and Drivers portfolio of products and users.
As a User Experience Researcher, you will be involved in all stages of the product design lifecycle - from identifying core user needs during the discovery phase to measuring impact on the user after a product is launched. By leveraging your broad skills in both qualitative and quantitative research, you will serve as a voice for the user, facilitating a user-centered design process.
You will help influence and define research processes, continuously finding opportunities to provide user insights to product teams to facilitate decision making. You will lead projects working with product designers, engineers, and product managers, ensuring that user needs are deeply understood by all team members. You will also have opportunities to elevate the role of user research within MongoDB and mentor others on how best to apply research to their projects or how to conduct research on their own.
- Understanding our users and potential users by identifying their motivations, needs, expectations, and goals
- Uncover areas of opportunity to improve the user experience of MongoDB products and services
- Work closely with stakeholders to clearly define research problems, distilling technically complex requirements into actionable research plans
- Identify actionable ways to improve our users’ experience with MongoDB’s products and services
- Collect and analyze data through a wide array UX research methods including, but not limited to: field studies, surveys, competitive analyses, user interviews, card sorting, and live A/B testing
- Ability to formulate specific, answerable, and practical questions, with the underlying desire to understand the “why and “how”
- Translate research findings into actionable insights for diverse audiences, including product designers, product managers, engineers, and C-level executives
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the Enterprise Tools, Server, and Drivers portfolio of products
- Facilitate ideation sessions with product stakeholders
- Undergraduate Degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, Human Factors, HCI/CS or a related field
- Well versed in a variety of user research methods, and comfortable working with both qualitative and quantitative data
- Demonstrate working knowledge of study design, qualitative and quantitative user research best practices, and experimental design
- Superior communication skills and storytelling ability. You can properly contextualize research insights and articulate your thoughts clearly
- Empathetic, communicative, creative problem solver, and a passionate user advocate
Bonus Points for
- Advanced degrees in relevant fields
- Experience with software development or working knowledge of software developers’ workflows
- Experience using user testing platforms and related software (i.e. usertesting.com, userzoom, qualtrics, etc.)
- Experience working as a researcher in an industry with a specialized audience (e.g. developers, bankers, etc.)
Why Research at MongoDB?
- We are a growing team in a company that values the insights we provide
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the product, and for our community of users
- We encourage open, honest, and authentic communication that’s always respectful
- We give each researcher appropriate autonomy and ownership over their projects and encourage everyone to add their unique strengths and perspectives
- We benefit from both our collaborative research culture and our close-knit relationships with individual product teams
- We like to have fun
*MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.*