Product Design Manager, Design Systems
San Francisco, CA
Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It’s an industry that’s been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people’s lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it’s also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it’s a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Design Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone and finding solutions to large-scale challenges that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.
ABOUT THE JOB
We’re looking for a Design leader who will help shape and build our Design System for our product teams while maintaining a balance in our 4-sided marketplace ecosystem. We believe that a design system should emerge from the needs of our teams, and are looking for a leader excited to put their users first. As the Product Design Manager, you will own the Design Systems Team’s strategy and vision, and work closely with Instacart’s cross-functional leaders to shape it toward the greatest impact. You’ll also be leading your team of designers to build a robust and reliable design system that supports our product teams.
We need someone who loves the challenge of creating quality work within a fast-paced, ever-evolving technology startup. You know what it takes to keep a team inspired and motivated in their work, and able to see how their individual contributions connect to the bigger picture – the company, and beyond to our end users. You know that our success hinges upon the success of the team, and you’re passionate and proactive about encouraging them, coaching them, and offering critical yet constructive feedback.
- 6+ years of experience in digital product design and/or service design with 1+ years of experience working on Design systems
- 2+ years of people leadership experience, leading the work of UI/UX and product designers
- Proven success influencing product and design decisions based on qualitative and quantitative insights
- Experience setting team goals (OKR, GSD, etc.) and leading your team to deliver on them each quarter
- Pride yourself on unparalleled collaboration and communication skills and you look forward to partnering with PMs, engineers, and designers to create beautiful products in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to communicate and present ideas clearly
- You lead with passion and vision, and you can energize others to deliver excellent results while keeping them happy and engaged
- Experience with building, hiring and mentoring high performing teams
- Reliable self-starter who can provide leadership to multiple projects with minimal oversight
- Expertise in motion design and related software
- Knowledge of React and native technologies and their impact on the feasibility of design systems
- Brand design experience
- Experience creating icons and illustrations
- Experience building plugins for Sketch or Figma