Product Designer - Intern, DesignOps
At Datadog, we’re on a mission to build the best monitoring platform in the world. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
We're looking for students to join our DesignOps team and start making an impact from day one. This internship is based in our New York City office. We ideally intend for you to be in the New York; however, our top priority is your health and safety, so all current and future Datadog employees will be working remotely until then.
We’re looking for a product design intern with a passion for scalable design systems. As our platform expands, the consistency and connectedness of our products becomes increasingly important to our success. The DesignOps team plays a crucial role in finding opportunities to develop reusable UI and UX patterns, and then developing, documenting, and evangelizing them.
You’ll join at an ideal time to make a big impact. We are expanding globally, designing and building multiple new products and patterns, and you’ll be involved in every step of the process—discovering opportunities, collaborating with product teams on solutions, and seeing them through to production.
You will learn how to identify opportunities to improve the consistency and connectedness of product experiences, how to design effective component-based systems, and how to work with product designers and engineers to bring user requirements into our production systems.
- Work with DesignOps leadership to discover opportunities for reusable UI and UX patterns
- Collaborate with product designers to develop reusable components and patterns for common product use cases
- Work with DesignOps engineers to build and deploy the new components and patterns you design
- Own the communication for the new components and patterns you create, ensuring they’re documented clearly and comprehensively in our style guide and design tools
Your skills and qualifications:
- You are in the process of receiving a degree
- You have experience in digital product design
- Your portfolio includes interaction design work on web applications
- You are an excellent visual and written communicator, able to clearly communicate your design work and the support for your design decisions
- You understand systems thinking and component-based design patterns
- You give and receive feedback well, supporting and improving the work of your colleagues as well as your own
- You want to work in a rapidly changing, high-growth environment
- You have prior internship experience in a product design, design systems, or product-oriented technology role
- You understand cloud infrastructure and have experience with platforms like AWS, GCP, or Azure
- You have worked on technical products and data visualizations
- You have experience with advanced prototyping tools (e.g. Principle, Framer, Figma)
We offer internship terms in the winter, summer, and fall. You must be available to work full-time in an internship for 4-6 months.
- Winter: Available to start in January 2021
- Summer: Available to start in May-June 2021
- Fall: Available to start in July-Sept 2021