Director of Product Design, Platform
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Director of Product Design will own Carta’s central platform design team. You will lead a team of Designers, Technologists, and Engineers to elevate our best-in-class design system (“ink”), help define Carta’s in-product brand, shape our visual design language, and drive innovation by incubating new products. These critical parts of our design ecosystem need inventors and champions. We nurture a team environment that promotes taking risks and being bold. We measure success not by features shipped, but rather by impact for the business.
The Problems You’ll Solve
Carta has grown quickly and moved into new markets that are too good to pass up. In late 2019 the company reorganized into business units with the autonomy to chase these opportunities. The central platform team is responsible for incubating new product opportunities, building high-leverage resources (like Carta’s Ink design system) to make design coherency easy across independent teams, and supporting the core platform infrastructure that powers Carta’s ambitious growth. We need a seasoned design leader to come in and bring vision, strategy and direction to our central design team.
- Help us align with marketing on what is Carta’s external brand and how does that manifest within our product. Does it connect millions of users to our central mission to “Create more owners”?
- How do we shape a sharp, distinct, cohesive visual design language across products?
- How do we evolve our ink design system to enable teams to move independently and quickly, to support our rapid growth, and at the same time create a coherent platform?
- What mechanisms can we create to scale design-led innovation at Carta?
- How does the central platform team create high-leverage resources to make great design easy across our various business units teams?
- How do we deploy a lean team of designers to explore new product opportunities?
- How do we synthesize and systematize good design?
The Impact You’ll Have
Building the central platform design team at Carta means creating leverage for Carta’s designers and business units. By investing in the foundations, standards, tools and practice of design we can move faster and build better products for our customers.
The central design team already has some of our best and longest tenured design team members. Your role has huge potential scope and impact in building out that team. From defining Carta’s in product brand, shaping our visual design language, refining the design system, and building the design team, the potential to help shape the future of Carta is hard to overstate.
This team’s efforts should very literally impact millions of users and their associated family wealth creation through equity. The business units and their independent design teams are focused on building products for their customers – your job is to create the standards, processes, and infrastructure that will enable the company to move faster. You will also apply these standards and processes in best practice examples with our product incubation teams. This is all in support of our mission to create more owners.
If you are a passionate design leader who wants to help shape and define what world class user experience and design looks like for millions of users then we want to talk to you. This position could be a good fit for you if the following resonates with you. You can or want to:
- Build a world-class design practice and define what that means for Carta
- Inspire people and create forward momentum with your direct reports, and help people managers become even better leaders
- Solve very large and very ambiguous problems independently
- Be the Creative Director for our visual design language
- Create desire from cross functional teams to want to use tools from your platform team
- Deliver new product innovation to users quickly with assumption testing along the way
- Deliver results - set a plan, measurement framework, and execute against your plans
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.