Lead UX Researcher
New York City
Posted 8 months ago
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB is building the modern data platform of choice for developers looking to build applications faster and more reliably. We power some of the world’s most innovative technology products and services out of our offices worldwide, from New York to Sydney, Berlin to Dublin, and just about everywhere in between.
We’re searching for a User Experience Research Lead to set the foundation for a growing team while driving our understanding of user needs within our Cloud Platforms, Analytics, Enterprise Tools, and Server portfolio of products.
As a UX Research Lead, you will work with product designers, engineers, and product managers throughout the entire product development lifecycle, from identifying foundational user needs during the discovery phase to measuring impact on the user after a product or feature has launched. By utilizing broad skills in both qualitative and quantitative research, you will serve as a voice for the user, facilitating a user-centered design process.
In addition, you will help scale user research at MongoDB by building and managing a team of user researchers within a complex technology domain. You and your team will become trusted and sought after partners for product, design, and engineering.
- Lead hiring, development, and retention of a team of user researchers with varying degrees of experiences
- Establish relationships and collaborate closely with other user research teams at MongoDB to build our shared practice
- Work closely with stakeholders to discover, define, and analyze research problems, distilling technically complex requirements into impactful research plans
- Plan and manage work streams for your team to deliver priorities effectively and on time
- Understand our users and potential users by identifying their motivations, needs, expectations, and goals
- Collect and analyze data through a wide array UX research methods including, but not limited to: field studies, surveys, competitive analyses, user interviews, card sorting, diary studies, and live A/B testing
- Translate your team’s research findings into influential and actionable insights for diverse audiences, including product designers, product managers, engineers, and C-level executives
- Develop subject matter expertise within the Analytics, Enterprise Tools, Server, and Drivers portfolio of products
- Advanced Degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, Human Factors, HCI/CS or a related field
- Well versed in a variety of user research methods, and comfortable working with both qualitative and quantitative data
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of study design, qualitative and quantitative user research best practices, and experimental design
- Superior communication skills and storytelling ability. You can properly contextualize research insights and articulate your thoughts clearly
- Empathetic, communicative, and inspiring collaborator
- Experience managing research teams, or mentoring junior researchers with an eagerness to grow your people management skills
- Comfortable with ambiguity and continuous feedback
- Intellectually curious, always asking “how can we improve?”
- Care deeply about the impact of your work
- Positive, resourceful mindset
- Desire to improve your self, others, and the experience our customers receive
- Demonstrates humility, as well as an ego-free and highly collaborative attitude
- Open and honest
Bonus Points for
- Experience with software development or working knowledge of software developers’ workflows
- Experience using user testing platforms and related software (i.e. usertesting.com, userzoom, qualtrics, etc.)
- Experience working as a researcher in an industry with a specialized audience (e.g. developers, bankers, etc.)
Did you check most of the boxes, but not all? That’s ok! There is no such thing as a “perfect candidate.” MongoDB is a place where everyone can -- and does -- grow. Our supportive, inclusive environment is a place where you can be your best self and safely ask others to help you get there. We just ask that you be open and honest about where you might need a bit of extra support.
Why Research at MongoDB?
- We are a growing team in a company that values the insights we provide
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the product, and for our community of users
- We encourage open, honest, and authentic communication that’s always respectful
- We give each researcher appropriate autonomy and ownership over their projects and encourage everyone to add their unique strengths and perspectives
- We benefit from both our collaborative research culture and our close-knit relationships with individual product teams
- We like to have fun
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.