Senior UX Writer
San Francisco, CA
Posted 8 months ago
We're looking for an experienced UX Writer to collaborate closely with members of the Discord Product Management, Product Design, Product Marketing, User Research, Engineering, and Localization teams to build experiences that engage our users and achieve our mission of creating belonging. With expressive and clear writing, you'll transform product features and concepts so that they're more intuitive and understandable.
You'll advocate for our users, use design thinking, empathy, and data to help shape and refine our product and identify opportunities to build better experiences for our users. You're proactive, independent, and comfortable with ambiguity and problem-solving, and you can juggle multiple projects and prioritize them for the greatest impact. You're also a content strategist, helping to define product narratives in conjunction with our Community, Product Marketing, and Growth teams.
UX Writing sits within the Product Design team, who works hard to shape user experiences and define the product voice at Discord. You will play a crucial part in that meaningful work.
You'll write and edit content for our desktop app and mobile app interaction flows, as well as both apply and evolve our style guidelines. You will test language, think like a product designer, and deliver highly accessible user experiences while incorporating the irreverence of our brand.
What you'll be doing
- Write and edit UI text to help users navigate our product, including working on onboarding, new feature user flows, feature naming, product tours, error messages, instructional materials, and more.
- Lead audits of content to identify opportunities and drive consistency across the product
- Contribute to our content standards and be a champion for best practices
- Manage and prioritize projects with multiple teams and stakeholders
- Understand how to balance business requirements and customer needs in building features
- Critique the visual style, interface, and interaction flow of applications and experiences
- Collaborate with, influence, and drive consensus with stakeholders and their feedback
- Bridge the gap between brand and product in the areas of style, standards, and communication and in a way that supports the overall customer experience
What you should have
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Technical Writing, UX, HCI, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of relevant experience in creating content for digital tech products
- UX writing portfolio including, but not limited to: user interface copy, microcopy, user education, direct or transactional emails, style guides or product launch content
- Self-starter who can manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and stay focused when faced with changing requirements
- Strong editing and proofreading skills and a solid grasp of product design methodology
- An established track record in crafting and managing successful projects from start to finish, ideally with cross-functional teams
- Proven understanding of user experience and design thinking with the ability to adapt your writing style to match a company’s brand voice
- Experience collaborating with Product Management, Product Design, User Research, Engineering, and Localization teams
- Experience working on a global product with users that speak dozens of different languages around the world
- Experience using Figma and Asana
- Interested in English, grammar, and storytelling
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.