Technical Product Manager - Service Platform
TransferWise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 8 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a Technical Product Manager to join our Platform team in the London office.
For our customers, using TransferWise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on TransferWise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
At TransferWise, our Platform tribe is building the scalable, foundational technologies that allow our product teams to deliver customer features efficiently and quickly, by connecting up with partners and systems across the world
- Data - Customer and financial data is fundamental for our product to work and scale
- Services - Mostly cloud infrastructure (AWS), but direct integrations with (central) banking systems and partners. How do we run and connect workloads together, so it's secure, reliable and efficient?
- Product - Understanding more closely how product teams build and services in production, with focus on the delivery and release lifecycle
TransferWise platform teams are expected to collaborate with our product engineers to develop scalable solutions that improve the reliability and performance of our products to help TransferWise achieve its mission.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
This role will have you focused initially in the Services group developing and maturing the products and services that our service platform layer provides, such as:
- Compute (AWS)
- Workload orchestration (Kubernetes)
- Our in-house service mesh built on top of Envoy
- Abstractions on top of cloud services
- Integrations with partners to power the TransferWise products
This is a new role to take on the future roadmap of what the services layer of TransferWise should be, to efficiently solve product team problems, in a reliable and scalable manner. Self-service, automation and well-tested components are key - as well as making sure our workloads are secure and isolated where necessary. As cloud technologies mature, there will be scope and opportunity to consider better solutions to move towards, and when to do so. Equally, we have to build and maintain on-premise footprint, to have close and direct integrations with partners all across the world.
To be successful in your application you need experience in product management in a similarly technical product with many internal customers and roadmap owners. TransferWise has a very proud tradition of fully autonomous product teams so ability to influence is key.
You will be responsible for:
- Working with teams to set objectives and goals that the team can measure success against.
- Collaborating cross team with engineers in platform and product to identify the pressing problems that need solving. You will need to have an understanding of the technology the service group uses and be able to apply your technical knowledge to guide the prioritization of what the teams should be focusing on.
- Defining a long-term roadmap for the team. Working closely with platform engineering team leads and product managers to define and drive projects from start to finish that align with the platform wide goals.
A bit about you
- You have domain knowledge - experience (development/operational) working with Kubernetes, microservice architecture and cloud technologies .
- Are customer-focused. At TransferWise, customers always come first. You need to be enthusiastic about our customers. We are a company doing great things, but we couldn’t do it without our customers being ready to start a revolution.
- Product management experience ideally in a similar role is a must, prior experience as a TPM for a platform/infrastructure team would be a bonus.
- Strong, clear communication and leadership skills. You know how to work effectively across a wide range of teams who face competing demands.
- You are data-driven. You need to be able to priorities the value you can add to customers, and numbers are the best way to do this. You can give examples of how you have moved some metrics before.
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.