Technical Product Manager - Data Engineering
TransferWise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 8 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a Technical Product Manager to join our Platform team in the Tallinn office.
For our customers, using TransferWise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on TransferWise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
At TransferWise, our platform tribe is formed of multiple sub teams (including data engineering, observability, site reliability engineering, and many more) that are loosely grouped as subteams focusing on:
- Data - Customer and financial data is fundamental for our product to work and scale
- Services - Mostly cloud infrastructure (AWS), but direct integrations with (central) banking systems and partners. How do we run and connect workloads together, so it's secure, reliable and efficient?
- Product - Understanding more closely how product teams build and services in production, with focus on the delivery and release lifecycle
TransferWise platform teams are expected to collaborate with our product engineers to develop scalable solutions that improve the reliability and performance of our products for our customers and help Transferwise achieve its mission.
In this role you would initially work with the Data group of teams (Machine Learning, Analytics Platform, Data Engineering, Data Delivery and Messaging). This is a new role but will take on the task of helping our engineers to work on the right problems at the right time in this technical domain and ensuring our roadmaps provide the best outcome in the future.
You’d act as an intermediary between our platform and product teams - identifying our customer needs, proposing solutions, and ensuring everything runs smoothly and more efficiently.
The Data Platform at TransferWise encompasses the data processing, storing, analytics and machine learning for all of our business teams, we need a Product Manager to help ensure we maximize the benefit to our internal (and ultimately our external) customers with better requirements, analysis, coordination and prioritization of requests and features.
As the Technical PM in the Data Sub tribe, your mission would be to maximize the impact of the data platform teams on the Transferwise Data Community, which is no small challenge based on the growing demands of data at TransferWise.
Experience in product management with data products which are used by internal customers is preferable. Transferwise has a very proud tradition of fully autonomous product teams, therefore, ability to influence is key.
This role will be expected to help engineering teams understand the data teams roadmaps and assist with communication requests from product teams back towards the data platform.
You will be responsible for:
- Working with teams to understand customers needs to set objectives and goals that the data teams can measure success against.
- Drive the refining of teams roadmaps in support of the Data Platform team’s visions and TransferWise’s company Missions.
- Work closely with platform teams on delivery prioritization and execution, and communicating these priorities to product teams.
- Help our teams work together on problems to ensure we are solving the right problems for our customers, and really drive “product based thinking” in platform teams
- Help our product teams build solid technical plans with data requirements or expectations built in
- Define, measure and improve non-functional requirements for our production systems.
A bit about you
- Have a good understanding of open source Data technologies, as well as a keen interest in data analytics, you don’t need to be an expert in python, R or SQL but you do enjoy getting stuck into the details of complex and large data sets.
- Are customer-focused. At TransferWise, customers always come first. You need to be enthusiastic about our customers. We are a company doing great things, but we couldn’t do it without our customers being ready to start a revolution.
- Product management experience ideally in a similar role is a must. If it is in a Data Platform team then that will be a bonus.
- Strong, clear communication and leadership skills. You know how to work effectively across a wide range of teams who face competing demands.
- You are data-driven. You need to be able to prioritize the value you can add to customers, and numbers are the best way to do this. You can give examples of how you have moved some metrics before.
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.