Head of Product Analytics
Remote in the San Francisco Bay Area until at least July 2021
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We collaborate with partners across the company to solve the most analytically challenging problems -- everything from how we set prices across hundreds of local services categories, to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance, to identifying early predictors of high-quality customers. We are a tight-knit, intellectually curious team that is committed to improving Thumbtack and improving each other.
About the Role
At Thumbtack, Product Analytics is one of the 4 key pillars of product development (the other 3 being engineering, product management and design & research). The team works relentlessly to plan and execute a product development roadmap by bringing data to every important conversation, decision and debate. The team is organized into 4 Focus Areas (Growth & Marketing, Customers, Professionals, Marketplace) with seasoned analytics leaders in place and well-functioning teams of analysts in each. The team is looking for an experienced product & analytics leader to provide cross-functional strategic leadership, team cohesion and to be a trusted thought partnership to our executive team. This role reports to the VP Analytics.
- Lead, develop and grow a team of 20+ analysts who elevate the entire product development process through research, goal-setting and better decision-making
- Co-own the company’s product development roadmap together with senior leaders in product management, engineering and design/user research
- Guide the leadership team on setting company-wide goals that inform and support our long-term product strategy
- Drive critical company-wide initiatives including analytics infrastructure, product quality, building out a team of economists, and measuring racial bias
- Uphold key leadership values: lead with why, make it count, own it, choose teamwork, and say what you mean.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years of analytics experience with 5+ years of management experience
- Strong analytical and technical skills. You should be able to guide your team to delivering high-quality analyses in a scalable way
- Experience in marketplace-type businesses where you can evaluate tradeoffs between equally important stakeholders
- Experience working in experiment-driven product development
- Track record co-leading a company’s product roadmap in collaboration with engineering and product management
- Strong communication skills and ability to build strong relationships cross-functionally and with senior leadership
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral degree in one of the following areas; Statistics, Engineering, Analytics, Math, Computer Science, Operations Research
- A well-balanced combination of big-picture thinking, ability to thrive in ambiguity, exceptional problem solving skills and patience to teach others and uphold a high bar
- Understanding of economic theory especially in the area of balancing supply and demand
- Current or prior technical depth in data extraction, statistical analysis, modeling and general familiarity with data languages and statistical tools (SQL, Python, R, Stata)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.