Product Design Lead - App
About the Role
This position is responsible for leading design efforts for Wayfair’s iOS and Android App ‘Growth’ squad. This team consists of fellow designers, product managers, engineers, and data analysts. You’ll be working as part of a small, dedicated, fully-resourced and empowered team that operates with the speed and focus of a startup, while benefiting from the resources of an established eCommerce leader.
This is both a strategic, and hands-on role where you’ll create customer-facing capabilities from scratch. You will work to discover customer problems, ideate solutions, and refine results.
The primary mission of the Growth squad is to drive iOS and Android app adoption and retention by polishing, refining, and promoting the essential features that make the app experiences compelling. The team owns and evolves experiences and functionality that helps accomplish this task, including web-to-app conversion, the App Store experience, iOS App Clips and Android Instant Apps, launch screens, onboarding, offline states, cross-app integration, and notifications.
As a member of Wayfair Design, you’ll join a diverse, multidisciplinary team of world-class designers who are hard at work transforming the experience of shopping for your home. Our design practice is collaborative, data-driven, and fast-paced. We’re looking for a design practitioner who can help us take our experience to the next level, bringing deep expertise in UX design and a strategic mindset for how to scale and differentiate a market-leading e-commerce experience. You should be versed in research methodology and current with design trends.
At Wayfair, we have established our leadership position in the market through a fierce passion for helping users find the best products for their homes. Our success has created a tangible opportunity to shape the future of ecommerce, and your work will have deep and meaningful impact.
- Craft intuitive and shippable product experiences, leveraging Wayfair UX design standards and industry best practices.
- Produce design deliverables utilizing the Sketch app, Abstract, Miro and/or other prototyping tools:
- Detailed site maps, user flows/task flows, user journeys, page flows, taxonomies/folksonomies, paths to purchase, etc.
- Wireframes, annotations, and prototypes that represent interaction recommendations
- Detailed visuals / mockups
- Lead cross-functional design reviews for all necessary deliverables
User Research Responsibilities
- Evaluate competitor and industry websites to provide a meaningful analysis of the findings
- Prioritize, plan and help conduct user research, including user interviews, usability testing, task analysis, contextual inquiry, card sorting
- Deep experience in user experience design, product management, engineering, and agile development environments and the ability to turn complex use cases into intuitive and shippable product experiences
- Oversee, plan, and scope projects for yourself, and a team of Experience Designers.
- Develop and own a design process that enables efficiency/speed and ensures a positive and ever-improving user experience and team culture
- Demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills. Be a thought leader who can take a step back on overarching goals and opportunities, while also acting as a product practitioner who can meticulously work alongside his/her teams with domain knowledge and design prowess
- Ensure that engineering implementation meets design standards.
- Play a leadership role in resolving unclear direction or unknown variables
- The ability to engage in strategy discussions. Weigh tradeoffs between business, technical, and customer contexts.
- Mentoring of designers with less experience to improve their skillset.
- Manage the development of team members through dedicated mentorship, or less formal coaching and advice.
- Recognize the staffing needs of the team, and the ability to recruit and hire new talent.
- Management and oversight of multiple smaller teams. This includes determining how a team will realize a strategy.
- 8+ years of Product Design experience for consumers and consumer brands—a big plus if you have experience in e-commerce
- Communication and presentation skills. The ability to clearly present work, and articulate the rationale for the decisions that led to it
- Facilitation and listening skills. The ability to maintain undivided attention and appreciate interpersonal differences. An openness to opinions that challenge beliefs, and be a willingness to evolve based on new information.
- Project confidence and exhibit swagger. The ability to offer a vision that encourages people to follow, and encourages others to take part.
- The confidence and self-motivation to drive forward projects that will improve our user’s experience
- Expert proficiency in Sketch, Invision, and other design tools.
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS. Hands-on skills a plus.
- An online portfolio that demonstrates an unfailing advocacy for the user, highlighting: e-commerce design work, mobile design work, analytical decision-making, and strategic thinking.
Interested in learning more about Wayfair’s Product Design team? Check out our Medium: https://medium.com/wayfair-design
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.