Senior Product Designer, Financial Infrastructure
Palo Alto, California, United States
The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
Carta’s software empowers companies, investors, employees, and other private markets participants to view and track their assets online. To help users understand these assets, it’s also vital to provide them with accurate and up-to-date information on their value. For example, an employee who’s considering exercising their options needs to know the fair market value of their company’s shares to anticipate what taxes they’ll need to pay. Valuation data helps make the users in our network smarter and more empowered to make better economic decisions.
Carta’s Valuations team is a highly collaborative group of valuations analysts, software engineers, and product thinkers who bring complicated valuation methodologies into user-friendly software experiences. We’re aiming to bring scary excel spreadsheets and hard-to-understand financial concepts to our users in a clean and clear way. Our 409A software helps companies calculate the fair market values (FMVs) of their common shares through our quick and audit-defensible product suite. Our ASC 820 software helps investors (like venture capitalists) understand the value of their portfolio investments. Both of Carta’s products in this space represent new advances in valuation technology.
We’re looking for a product designer who enjoys solving complex design challenges in the rapidly innovating financial technology space. This means understanding our users’ requirements (both customers and our valuation analyst team) and leveraging a strong toolkit of design experience to find creative solutions. If you enjoy data visualizations, simplifying complex problems, and rapid prototyping - read on.
The role requires being based in San Francisco or Palo Alto to work with our San Francisco Bay Area offices and teams.
The Problems You’ll Solve
As a Product Designer working with the Financial Infrastructure team, you will:
- Leverage user research, rapid prototyping, and data insights to identify ways to improve the Valuation team’s products and user experiences
- Understand the valuation technology space deeply - e.g. why valuations are important to our users and how they’re leveraged to create a more informed network
- Collaborate across multiple business and cross-functional stakeholders. Valuations is part of our Financial Infrastructure team which empowers many of our other product development teams to include the best valuation technology in their users’ workflows.
- Understand engineering, product, and business requirements that underpin complex, cross-functional initiatives
Successful Carta product designers:
- Demonstrate Ownership & Impact: Several (3-5) years experience leading design on Product Design team for desktop or mobile. An online portfolio of case studies that demonstrates unfailing advocacy for the user, highlighting: e-commerce design work, mobile design work, analytical decision-making, and strategic thinking
- Understand Scope & Complexity: Leverages design experience to simplify complex problems to their essential elements. Knows how to create simple and elegant design solutions to complicated problems.
- Design Craft & Quality: Creates high quality solutions to problems. Understands how to move problems through the ideation, iteration, and shipping cycle. Has the tools and frameworks to deliver best-in-class design solutions.
- Autonomy & Leadership: Doesn’t stay stuck. When faced with difficult challenges finds a way to keep moving things forward. Maybe that means finding helpful data or trying a new approach. Design isn’t static, it’s constant motion and this designer doesn’t need to be given directions.
- Communication & Collaboration: Works well across stakeholder groups of all backgrounds: sales, marketing, engineering, product, etc. Communicates why design decisions were made and how they help deliver great user experiences.
- Vision & Strategy: In addition to understanding a user’s problems today, Carta product designers also have an eye to the future: what will a user want in a year? In 5 years? How can we constantly challenge ourselves to innovate?
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.