Head of Product Design
San Francisco, California, United States
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced Head of Design to lead, mentor, and grow a talented team of designers. In this role you will partner with Product, Engineering, and Marketing to deliver simple, elegant, data-driven, user-centric experiences that delight users. You bring expertise in user-centered design principles, best practices, trends, and emerging technologies. You have a clear design sensibility and point of view. You are collaborative, results-oriented, and an excellent communicator that can influence product strategy.
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our dynamic organization, which has been designed to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we’re changing healthcare to change lives. Join us.
What you’ll do:
- Set strategy, vision and direction for the Invitae product design team that includes user research, UI/UX, and visual design
- Mentor, grow and guide a talented team of designers while continuing to build out our design culture
- Provide strong design oversight and feedback to ensure quality, consistency and usability
- Define the best structure and organization to effectively allocate designers to efforts in a way that leads to exceptional execution
- Partner with product management, engineering, marketing, and other stakeholders to co-create and deliver on the product strategy and vision
- Support and champion human centered design across the organization
- Continue to build out the design team, including recruiting and hiring exceptional design talent
What you bring:
- 10+ years experience in design, including hands-on and team leadership experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing and building design teams
- A Bachelor’s or Graduate degree in HCI, Human Factors, Fine Arts, Behavioral Science or other related field
- A track record of successfully hiring and managing a design team to meet the needs of a growing company
- Expert knowledge of user-centered design principles, design best practices, trends, and emerging technologies
- Experience working on customer-facing products and experiences
- Excellent communication skills
- Online portfolio or case studies showcasing skills
- A background in design for healthcare is a plus
- Experience integrating products from mergers and acquisitions is a plus
- Experience helping product designers plan projects using a user centered design approach
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.