BetterLesson empowers K-12 teachers to build a modern classroom: learner-centered, culturally responsive, and personalized. Instead of the conventional one-size-fits-all professional development format for educators, BetterLesson supports teachers in a way that’s personalized and continuous -- using a mix of remote 1:1 coaching, remote team coaching, remote workshops, and in-person workshops, all supported by the BetterLesson Lab software. We match each teacher with a world-class coach and then leverage our technology to suggest customized teaching strategies, to measure impact on student learning, and to improve teaching practice continuously through rapid iteration. This process leads to off-the-charts teacher love (our data shows teachers love BetterLesson more than Apple users love their iPhones), high administrator engagement, and, most importantly, dramatic teacher and student growth.
BetterLesson has raised over $30M of venture capital and grant funding, serves over 200 school districts, sees 850K+ monthly active users accessing our online lessons and strategies, and is expanding quickly.
We are a growing team of teaching practice geeks, educational opportunity devotees, and product development specialists. We place tremendous value on our company’s roots and culture: a shared passion to transform professional learning for educators at scale and a sense of urgency to achieve this vision on behalf of students. All candidates should have the experience, competence, and enthusiasm to dive into our highly dynamic organization headfirst and rapidly solve complex, exciting, and interconnected problems. We offer a unique opportunity to join a small team, have flexible hours, and make a massive impact on our education system.
About The Role
Design and user experience (UX) are at the heart of how teachers and coaches connect with our platform, and key to the work they do together at BetterLesson. As a UX Designer, you’ll help envision how teachers and coaches experience our products and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, intuitive, and visually aligned to the BetterLesson brand.
As a part of the Product team at BetterLesson, you’ll collaborate with the Creative Director / Head of Product, Product Managers, Engineers, Content Managers, stakeholders and end users throughout the design process: completing user research and testing; refining personas; developing user flows, wireframes, comps and prototypes; and producing graphic assets for the BetterLesson Lab. You will help launch the product by testing it — working with the engineering team to ensure that the code and interactions match up to the design. At each stage, you will be a user advocate and ensure that the final product delights both users and stakeholders.
- A proven UX Designer with outstanding organization and interpersonal skills, and a portfolio that demonstrates your expertise;
- Passionate about developing human-centered technology products;
- A clear and professional communicator, both verbally and visually;
- Experienced with InVision, Figma or Adobe XD and Sketch;
- Enthusiastic about user research and usability studies;
- Analytically oriented with strong background in data-driven decision-making as it relates to your design decisions;
- Comfortable embracing the experimentation, risk, speed, & failure inherent to startup culture;
- Highly self-motivated and capable of working independently and as part of a collaborative team; and
- Deeply ambitious and optimistic about the role that professional development can play in improving teacher and student outcomes.
- Design and produce quality interfaces that solve business / market problems, as defined by Product owners;
- Develop and communicate underlying concepts that inspire design implementation;
- Demonstrate your expertise designing for web and mobile environments as well as how the technologies of each can be used to further enhance the overall experience;
- Produce quality design that accurately communicates, based on a visual design language and brand guideline;
- Demonstrate best practices for pixel-perfect production considerations and methods;
- Produce and test interactions and user flows that accurately communicate product functionality, accounting for edge cases;
- Appreciate aesthetic details and have a strong attention to detail;
- Collaborate with engineering to ensure the design vision is executed pixel-perfectly;
- Pair research with an intellectual curiosity that encourages testing and iteration is essential; and
- Ask “what if...?” and “why not...?”
- 1-3 years in UX, or Web/Mobile Design role;
- An online portfolio that demonstrates design principles and solutions for web and/or mobile platforms;
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates professional work in all phases of the UX and UI design process, with an emphasis on wireframing and prototyping;
- Expert-level use of Sketch, InVision, Figma, Adobe Illustrator, and Google Suite;
- Demonstrated skills in typography, color, grids, and composition;
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Email templates, Survey platforms; and
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills.
We Can Offer You
- the opportunity to work with an awesome team to solve important problems.
- a competitive salary.
- health and other employee benefits.
- equity in the business you are helping to build.
- a great office space near Harvard and Central Squares in Cambridge.
- a flexible schedule and vacation policy.
- the opportunity to spend every day working to improve outcomes for teachers and students.
Cambridge, MA (We are currently working remotely, but expect to be in-office when safe to do so.)
BetterLesson’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
BetterLesson is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels. We don’t just accept diversity — we celebrate it, we support it, and we know it benefits our employees, our products, our partners, and our community. We encourage individuals to apply regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy status (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, and/or any other characteristics unrelated to merit. At BetterLesson, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees.