Austin, Texas, US
Posted 1 month ago
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business. “Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking an experienced User Experience (UX/Content) Designer with a proven record of delivering irresistible solutions which address our customers’ most challenging business problems and opportunities. The ideal candidate will have experience collaborating effectively with Product Management and engineering in agile and lean delivery methodologies. The candidate must demonstrate leadership, technical curiosity, and tenacity to partner with some of the leading technologists in the field of cloud computing.
• Evaluate and design for the interactions between language and design elements to construct a logical, compelling narrative throughout the user/client journey
• Contribute personally, guide others, and provide consultation in areas such as writing, editing, naming, organizing, arranging, iterating, and testing
• Bring transparency and approachability so that words aren't black-box magic and that non-experts in content design can participate in the process
• Take on assignments as tactical as determining a single word and as strategic as mapping product-wide concept models and journeys
• Enforce but also interpret and contribute to our content design standards in the context of a larger design system and organizational style and standards
• Focus on in-product content, words in the UI that help our customers complete tasks and achieve goals
• Participate in and lead UX activities (in person and remote) such as user/design research and workshops, in an Agile environment
• Test and validate working hypotheses with users through usability testing of wireframes, tree testing, card sorting, clickable prototypes and published product, and participate in design critique
Who You Are:
Creative, curious, questioning, open to receiving and providing critique, and have a ton of initiative.
Able to focus on design detail and ascertain user value and impact as part of your software experience. You possess experience solving complex design problems for Web interactions or software solutions and are capable of translating research findings into complex interaction designs that provide usable, effective and efficient experiences to users. Your keen written and verbal communication skills include the ability to articulate alternative approaches.
The ideal candidate has the demonstrated the ability to…
• Think about words as design material for creating experiences that are clear and usable
• Research and study subjects and context to inform content
• Write, curate, and edit content for accuracy, clarity, and usability
• Create content that drives user actions
• Produce and enhance low-fidelity sketches to facilitate communication of recommended solutions
• Tell meaningful stories about users, with great presentation skills
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Portfolio and work samples including user-centered design skills, complex experiences such as flows, scenarios, personas, etc. (any fidelity), and sketches to mid-fidelity interactions (show your process)
• Solid Technical background
• Hands on Designer Experience
• 4+ years of Demonstrated experience solving complex user problems
• At least 3 years of experience working in a broad portfolio of related products and/or constitute a complex solution
• Understanding of Design principles and their application
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
• Attention to detail in the language and relationships of design elements in the experience
• Data visualization skills
• Basic research skills to measure and analyze efficacy of content
• Master’s Degree or related experience in User Experience Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Science, Writing, English, Journalism, Communication, Information Design
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds - public, private, and hybrid - enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.