Design Program Manager, Product Design
US / Canada
Design Program Manager, Product Design
San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Remote
Design at Stripe
We believe there are too many barriers to doing business on the internet, and that opportunities are not equally distributed throughout the world. We also think building and growing a business online is a problem rooted in code, language, and design—not finance.
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet and expand economic access globally. We’re designing tools and infrastructure to help our users start, run, and scale an online business from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a Design Program Manager who will enable our Design team, which includes Product Design, UX Research, Brand Design, Design Ops, and Web Presence, to build world-class brand and product experiences in a creative, focused environment.
Our broader Design team works across many types of product initiatives at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, primary qualitative and quantitative research, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the Design Ops team and the role
The Design Operations team drives cross-org business operations, systems, and programs that enable the Design team to produce world-class work. Design Program Managers are natural leaders, guiding high-complexity programs through the design life cycle. They are experts at anticipating potential challenges and mitigating risks to getting work delivered on time. They apply their experience and interest in design thinking to our operating model, prototyping and iterating on ways our team works. They can rally cohesion within the Design org and trust with our cross-functional partners. The Design Operations team is looking to add a seasoned Design Program Manager to partner with our Product Design team. The role is full-time, based in San Francisco, Seattle, New York, or remote and reports to our Head of Design Operations.
- Lead and build out horizontal programs primarily for the Product Design team, and as needed, across the entire Design org. Develop and implement processes and resources to support how we design user experiences and collaborate with product teams.
- Continuously examine, experiment, and measure improvements to our operational model and processes (e.g. automating tasks, improving workflows, developing repeatable methodologies).
- Work with a diverse group of designers representing different disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties. Partner with Product Design Leadership to onboard new team members so they can quickly gain confidence to independently own their work.
- Evaluate and implement new tools with product designers and cross-functional partners to solve our growing need to collaborate globally, across designers and cross-functional product partners.
- Identify opportunities to scale our Design systems, and ensure collaboration and alignment across brand, web, and product.
- Define and keep up-to-date documentation of how Design works and how to work with each of the Design disciplines that make up our team.
- Source and evaluate design vendors when needed. Interface with legal, security, and procurement teams to onboard and pay vendors, including facilitating statements of work and negotiating business terms and budget.
- Partner with Product Design Leadership and collaborate with the Design Ops team to balance competing priorities and maximize team resources to quickly execute on top priorities.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Love the words “systems” and “process” because to you they mean “making everything better at scale.”
- Thrive in and encourage collaborative work environments while not hesitating to own, define, and deliver on complex and ambiguous tasks, projects, and programs.
- See opportunities where other people see chaos.
- Have a track record of building and executing programs from scratch and measuring their impact.
- Relentlessly focus on users and solving for their needs and wants.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and use them to effectively roll out large scale programs.
- Enjoy working closely with designers, and have familiarity with product development and research methods in the digital space.
- Have developed or improved design processes or systems and worked with internal stakeholders such as legal, finance, and IT.
- Bring 5+ years of experience in design thinking, product design, user experience, or design strategy and have experience partnering with design teams.
- Worked as a Producer or Program Manager of an in-house UX/Product Design or Research team.
Note: It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in at least one area, and have capabilities and interest in the others.
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
- A written description of why you're interested in this role and examples of how you’ve exemplified the qualities listed above in your previous work experience.