Perth, Western Australia, AU
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action.
IBM welcomes, includes, values and respects everyone. We celebrate diversity in all forms. Our culture is rich and intentionally inclusive.
IBM Garage is a bold, comprehensive approach to innovation, modernisation and transformation that quickly creates and scales new ideas that dramatically impact client's business.
IBM Garage is more how you work than what you work on. It combines modern ways of working into an integrated operating model to help clients identify important business problems, design, prototype and prove potential solutions, and scale those solutions across a client's business.
IBM Garage is seeking an experienced Design Researcher/Product Designer to join a dynamic product team. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you’ll tackle complex, business challenges alongside other builders and thinkers from different backgrounds in AI, IoT and robotics, quantum and blockchain. A successful candidate will be an organized go-getter with solid experience developing key insights about diverse audiences and able to do segmentation by needs. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will undertake research with a range of end users to better understand their needs, and their relationship with the various factors that influence their environment. You are a quick learner, enthusiastic, detail-oriented and collaborative—ready to roll up your sleeves and join a team that’s helping to bring human-centred design to one of the world’s most vital industries.
What will I be doing?
- Join a high performing product squad and be responsible for User experience across the stages of product development. Ultimately ensuring there is 'no bias' in the User research and product design.
- Conduct research across the various forms including review of reports, previous experiments undertaken by various experts in the sector—to come to a point of view around what we know, where there may be bias and where we still have questions
- Leverage IBM Subject Matter Experts Knowledge and thought leadership to appreciate domain expertise.
- Structure appropriate forms of User research based on the degree of unknowns and lead the product squad through fieldwork, analysis of findings and insight development
- Provide research results to product team
- At time, provide deliverables, reports, presentations, and/or videos to document and bring to life insights in an engaging and inspiring way
- Oversee the product design process to ensure the squad adheres to the research findings and help remove 'bias' in design.
- Work with cross-capability teams of UI and service designers, Product Engineers, and SMEs to create and manage a product’s lifecycle
- A senior role may see you managing a team of designers, providing training and mentorship.
What experience do I need?
- Senior, 10+ years experience - ideally in a start up environment or other comparable exposure
- Mid-level, 3-5 years - ideally in a start up environment or other comparable exposure
- Method experience: Design Thinking, Lean Startup, Lean UX, Design Sprints and Agile.
- Usability research, sprint based research experience
- Qual/Quant/Behavioural research experience with a proven ability to scope research, lead fieldwork, conduct interviews, perform desktop research, lead synthesis and communicate findings to stakeholders
- Experience recruiting and interviewing research participants within an organisation and its external customers
- Ability to synthesize research findings to uncover and articulate insights that will inform and inspire design
- Ability to shape and lead strategic, systems thinking based upon insights gathered through research. A background in organizational/business/service design.
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills; fluency and confidence in inspiring teammates and partners with user-driven rationale
- Ability to communicate information visually
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercising a balance between research rigor and speed; we are looking for people who can maintain no bias throughout, but who also experiment in their approach and methodology.
- Experience using technology and digital methods to uncover needs (e.g.: experience conducting online ethnography, implementing remote user studies, moderating/monitoring online communities, collaborating with developers to build web or digital prototypes to gather feedback, etc.).
- Experience working in a Product Squad, Startup or cross-functional team.
- Exeptional skills in Adobe, Sketch, InVision, Keynote or other design software tools
- You love working on teams and share a passion for IBM’s mission to Be essential and to do work that matters, making the world a better place.
Sign me up!
If you tick these boxes, and are ready to start your next challenge with a career at IBM – click “Apply” today. To find out more, head to www.ibm.com.au/careers
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
As per the job description
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
As per the job description
About Business Unit
IBM Services is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants that design, build, and run foundational systems and services that is the backbone of the world's economy. IBM Services partners with the world's leading companies in over 170 countries to build smarter businesses by reimagining and reinventing through technology, with its outcome-focused methodologies, industry-leading portfolio and world class research and operations expertise leading to results-driven innovation and enduring excellence.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job tags: Design thinking InVision Product design Prototypes Research Service design Sketch User experience User research User studies
Job region(s): Asia/Pacific