Product Manager, Cloudflare Logs Insights
Austin or Champaign, IL
About the Department
As a Product Manager at Cloudflare, you are responsible for building products that improve the way that the Internet works. Product Managers at Cloudflare sit at the intersection of engineering, design, and business strategy. We shape high-level product goals but also get our hands dirty. On an average day, you might pitch a concept to senior leadership, execute a launch plan with marketing, conduct user research with designers, prototype a new feature, iterate on a spec, analyze usage data, and pair with an engineer on implementation. We have ultimate responsibility for understanding our client needs, influencing business strategy, defining feature specification, and working with engineering to develop our software.
About the Role
Cloudflare generates an absurd amount of data from the 25 million HTTP requests and terabits of network traffic that pass through our request every second. The mission of the Data team is to make metadata about all this traffic useful to customers and teams at Cloudflare.
Today, Cloudflare exposes powerful analytics to help customers optimize their internet priorities for performance, security, and cost. We have analytics products that cover web traffic, caching, Firewall, DDoS, edge computing, and more.
However, we know our customers want more. While our analytics are great for quickly diving in and getting quick insights, there are some core capabilities that are missing from our platform. Customers need:
- Control over how long their data is stored — ranging from days to years
- Control over where their data is stored -— thanks to the proliferation of data sovereignty laws, customers want all the data, exactly where they want it
- Forensics, not just analytics. For example, after being attacked, customers may want to zoom into a 30 minute window and page through every request they receive.
- A cost effective solution — customers massive amounts of data, that are prohibitive to store and analyze in popular existing commercial solutions.
We’re looking for a PM who can define the vision for the next generation of our logs analysis platform, and help own and ship a major new product in this space. While PMs at Cloudflare don’t have a P&L, expect to deliver a new product that we will charge for. You will be thinking about all aspects of the product including understanding customers and existing solutions in the market, understanding costs and pricing, how to choose infrastructure to build a scalable system, and of course how to make a great, easy-to-use product that customers love.
As a member of the growing team of product managers your responsibilities include:
- Own the product vision for your area. Ensure that it aligns with the overall product and company vision.
- Be an expert on the domain, the market, the trends. Evangelize the vision constantly so all stakeholders are aligned, have context and understand where we are going.
- Represent the customer. Be the champion and voice of customers. Build intimate, personal customer relationships. Bring the customer's voice into the creation process.
- Manage the roadmap. Make tough tactical prioritization decisions while helping the company think long-term. Build trust with stakeholders by maintaining an understandable, accurate roadmap.
- Author use cases and prioritize requirements. Translate market observations and customer feedback into a prioritized product backlog. Author use cases based on specific real-world product applications and extrapolate detailed product requirements for the scenarios.
- Collaborate across teams. We win or lose as a team. Product managers play a critical role in creating alignment between engineering teams and stakeholders. A collaborative attitude is essential to the job.
- Measure success. Own the measures used to define success for your product. Success measures must be defined at the inception of a product and tracked throughout its lifecycle. Make measures visible to all stakeholders and interpret them into actionable conclusions and new hypotheses.
- Develop new opportunities. With your finger on the pulse of the market, the customers and the engineering teams, you are uniquely positioned to discover and develop new opportunities.
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial-minded and thrives in a fast-paced and goal-driven environment. You have outstanding communication and collaboration skills and are able to work with a diverse group, get consensus, and drive the product forward. You are execution focused and emphasize getting things done while paying attention to important details. You have several years of experience working with enterprise, SaaS, or security technologies. You have a passion for building SaaS products and want to solve the problems of performance, security, and reliability of the Internet.
- Ability to discover opportunities, and then define and deliver products.
- Exceptional communication, presentation, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, drive consensus, and deliver in a matrix organization with multiple stakeholders.
- Must be able to define and manage complex process and/or product issues of a broad scope using independent judgment.
- Experience balancing execution, agility, and culture at a fast growing business.
- Strong technical abilities. You are intimately familiar with modern software development practices used to build and deploy applications and data systems. You've preferably been working full time on a software delivery team.
- Strong customer and stakeholder empathy. You must be not only the voice of the customer, but at various times the voice of marketing, finance, engineering, support and ops. You must be able to channel many points of view.
- Strong theoretical and practical knowledge of how the Internet works at layers 2 through 7.
- Experience working with data analysis at scale. An understanding of how to make big data small.
- Prior product management experience
- You think it’s fun to analyze data in SQL/R/Python/Matlab in your free time
- Hands-on experience with technology for data storage and analysis
- Experience developing pricing for new enterprise SaaS products
- Ability to validate early ideas through quantitative and qualitative methods (A/B and multivariate testing, user testing, etc).
- Scripting/programming experience (Python, Go, etc.).
- A solid understanding of RESTful API design & documentation.
- Capacity planning, cost modeling, and operations research experience.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.