Product Manager - Finance
In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, Nigeria and Senegal saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
How you'll help us achieve it
The Product Manager - Finance role will be working together with an engineering and operations team to ensure that as we move money all over the world at increasing scale, we have the processes, technology and a roadmap for that technology to accurately account for our financials. We're looking for Product Manager to join our Product Team to build technology that can generate financial information for the broader company and support our financial operations.
Day-to-day you’ll work with the Finance Engineering and Finance teams to understand opportunities, spec out potential solutions and prioritize improvement. You’ll work hand-in-hand with the engineering lead on the team to ensure that sprints are planned, backlogs groomed, and that the engineers are able to operate as effectively as possible. You’ll work with the rest of the product team to ensure that your roadmap is aligned with the overall goals of the company, product and that together we are forwarding our mission of making sending money as fast and simple as sending a text.
In your first few months, you'll
Get up-to-speed on our current financial systems, the technical vision for it and the team’s capacity to deliver. You’ll need to quickly understand how our product works, capabilities we have, the nuances of how transactions are processed, delivered, and how throughout the entire process we provide support to our users. You’ll want to spend time getting to know our finance teams, as well as our delivery team and you’ll start to interact with our partners. You’ll get up-to-speed on our internal support tools and analytics infrastructure.
- You’ve managed the full life-cycle of core features of a product in the past and you probably have 4+ years of professional product management experience ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment.
- You have a background in finance or accounting and are familiar with financial reporting systems, period-end closing and reconciliation processes
- You are meticulously organized and have a willingness to actively and proactively engage with partners to fix missing/inaccurate partner data and reporting to ensure timely completion of monthly partner account reconciliations.
- You exhibit outside-the-box thinking with missing/inaccurate data and can gracefully handle the ambiguity with changing and not entirely clear requirements and coordination with other teams, where team ownership boundaries may be blurry
- You know how to develop, clearly communicate and then drive implementation of a product roadmap by prioritizing ruthlessly and making complex tradeoffs thoughtfully and collaboratively together with Engineering, Marketing, Operations and other stakeholders.
- You have a strong technical background and can read, understand and when needed write up API specs and are excited about facilitating integrations with 3rd party clients that may have terrible documentation.
- You have strong analytics skills and are not afraid to learn or use new tools, write SQL, dig through tickets in Zendesk, fire up a Jupyter notebook, dig into some python code or do what ever else it takes for you to frame questions and get data quickly so you and your teams can better understand a problem and prioritize solutions.
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- You have a willingness to travel four weeks / year to meet with your team and the rest of the company. In addition you would be excited to spend a couple of additional weeks a year traveling to collaborate in-person with our delivery partners worldwide.
You might be a good fit if you
- Aspire to lead and develop true product teams, not feature teams.
- Are a creative and flexible problem solver, and interested in finding the best solutions for our particular needs
- Like getting in the weeds and making projects happen
- Are excited about multiple kinds of work and want to help out where it’s needed
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Belgium, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Ghana, and Kenya.
- This is a permanent position and reports to the Head of Product
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of over 200 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. Recently we've been to Miami (USA), Denver, Montreal (Canada) and Dakar (Senegal.)
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.