Product Design Intern
San Francisco, CA
Make global trade easy for everyone.
The Flexport UX team creates the end-to-end user experiences for our external clients, our internal operations teams, and our service partners such as airlines, ocean carriers, and trucking companies. Flexport’s design system, Latitude, is an evolving system that serves a group of over 150 designers and engineers. As a designer on the Design Systems team, you will focus on maintaining and evangelizing Flexport’s design language across our entire line of web and mobile products. Some of your main areas of contribution will include refining and expanding our shared design components, visual style, and documentation. In pursuing this mission, you’ll empower teams throughout Flexport to build cohesive and scalable experiences in an efficient manner by maintaining design specifications, patterns, and reusable components. We are looking for a strong and highly motivated intern to join our team for Summer 2021 and help realize our mission of making global trade easy for everyone.
As a Product Design Intern, you’ll report directly to a Design Manager on the platform team, enabling you to take on a project from ideation through execution. This will give you the opportunity to ship meaningful contributions and help you build out your portfolio as a Product Designer, having a fantastic internship experience in the process of doing so.
- Own and execute a design project from concept through delivery that will ship to production.
- Work with Researchers to conduct user research and gather data insights with their guidance.
- Build prototypes to share and test concepts with stakeholders.
- Deliver user centered design solutions within a fast paced and growing environment.
- Participate in design critique by giving and receiving feedback to fellow designers.
- Collaborate and work across functions including research, product, engineering, and data teams.
- Be part of a close-knit design team.
You should have:
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates design principles for web-based experiences.
- Dedication to learning from users and a solid understanding of user research methods.
- Knowledge of visual design fundamentals including layout, color, and typography.
- Familiarity with design tools such as Figma or Sketch.
- A minimum of twelve weeks of full-time availability—this internship has a start date in May/June 2021
You will get:
- An assigned manager and mentor who will be dedicated to your success at Flexport.
- Projects and assignments which will help build your knowledge and skills while making a direct impact on the business.
- Visibility to leaders within the organization and opportunities to present your work/projects.
- Opportunity to join team building activities to get you familiarized with both your immediate team and other Flexport employees.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.