Technical Product Manager
New York, NY
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring a Technical Product Manager to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About the Role:
The Oscar Engineering team is looking for a Technical Product Manager who will help us build world-class engineering infrastructure products and solutions with which we can change healthcare for the better. You will help an infrastructure team solve impactful, important, and interesting problems of scale, reliability, and privacy. You’ll own improvements to our core systems from conception and ideation, through design and development, into deployment, and onto continued maintenance. You’ll be responsible for gathering and defining the products’ requirements, determining which features are feasible, identifying priorities, the timeframe for development, and validating the final product with the infrastructure teams’ key end-users - other Oscar engineers, data scientists, operations specialists, and others across the organization.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Strategy Development: Identify and prioritize the most critical needs of the organization that should be addressed through infrastructure development or infrastructure acquisition.
- Roadmap and Prioritize: Define and prioritize requirements from various stakeholders into organized product roadmaps that focus work on the highest priority objectives.
- Operate Mission-Critical Infrastructure: Help support on-call infrastructure engineers in their day-to-day work by identifying key ways to optimize their time through product enhancements and/or automation.
- Provide Context: Consistently provide clear and well written context, in the form of Product Requirements Documents (PRDs) and agile stories, on what is being built and why it’s being built. Dive deep on the problem that is being solved to help guide the solution design work within infrastructure and process engineering.
- Process Development: Engineer and implement consistent organizational processes, high tech standards, and clear engagement models across the infrastructure teams in which you work.
- Effectively Collaborate: Work jointly with other Technical Product Managers, Project Managers, Technical Leads, and Process Engineers across the infrastructure and common component engineering teams. Engage with process engineers, IT, Insurance Operations, Security and a variety of other stakeholders from across the organization.
- Customer Focus: Develop a deep understanding of customer/user needs, facilitate communication such that users understand their relative priority and what they can expect from the infrastructure team at Oscar.
- 3+ years of product management or technical product management experience.
- Experience working with users that are of a highly technical background (e.g. software engineers, data scientists, system administrators).
- Ability to distinguish opinion from fact with a data-driven approach.
- Strong technical knowledge of cloud technologies and ability to work effectively with engineers on high-level system architectures.
- Stakeholder and project management experience including the ability to manage projects, deadlines, and handle prioritization with competing pressures.
- Understanding of the full Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) from ideation through sunset where scope may not be clearly defined and the problem space may shift.
- Ability to work independently to meet clear objectives.
- Ability to motivate teams that do not report directly to you.
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner certification or knowledge to that level
- Experience working with Kubernetes, Aurora, and other container orchestration systems
- Experience working with Jira, Zendesk, Monday.com and other service, backlog, and project tracking tools
- Understanding of Agile methodologies, as well as DevOps culture.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.