Senior Director, UX Design
San Francisco, California, United States
As a Sr. Director of UX design at The RealReal, you are a passionate leader of the user experience design team and key executive in the ever continuing search to find the perfect product/market fit, creating amazing customer experiences across all aspects of the company -- for our consignors, our buyers and our internal users. You establish a vision and lead the execution of a UX design strategy based on a deep knowledge of our business, our creative strategy, and technical expertise. You believe in the power of great UX design, and evangelizing its impact across the company, while partnering across all stakeholders. You are customer obsessed, leveraging qualitative and quantitative methods to identify customers needs and wants and solve pain points and frustrations to the customers and reduce friction of using our products.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Define and drive the UX vision & strategy for an already-significant and quickly growing eCommerce company; Contribute to the future product direction at The Real Real as part of the top product leadership
- Go deep on consumer insights, product analytics, and competitive intelligence to identify unseen opportunities, and drive product & experience innovation
- Champion design-thinking and UX best practices across the organization — advocate a user-obsessed approach toward product design and overall company processes
- Establish and communicate effective ux design processes through a strong understanding of user-centered design techniques coupled with practical experience; Evangelize initiatives to a diverse audience, across all stakeholders, both internal and external
- Lead brainstorming sessions and design reviews and quick, iterative user research for ideation and concept refinement. Direct and build design guides and prototypes
- Create and rapidly iterate on ideas in order to develop them, via storyboards, user flows, mock-ups, and prototypes, or other novel methods
- Stay on the cutting edge of what’s new in technology and user experience, identifying, experimenting with acting on new technologies and interaction patterns
- Lead designing for multimodal interactions, including voice
- Recruit and develop extraordinary talent, by identifying, hiring, coaching, managing and mentoring a team of designers
What You Bring To The Role
- A passion for turning complex problems into elegant experiences
- A diverse portfolio of work you personally designed and shipped, along with examples of work directed and delivered by your team - your robust track record of successfully shipping products to market and focus on your craft should shine through
- Excellent creative, communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to come up with and communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization and outside of it.
- 10+ years of experience in design, at least 5 of those designing experiences for eCommerce with agile methodology. 3+ of these years in leadership roles.
- Experience creating and managing UX/design language style libraries.
- Degree in Graphic Design, or other relevant field.
- Proficient knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Sketch, Zeplin, Figma and/or other preferred design software.
- Generalist UX skills set with expertise in either visual or interaction design.
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, consigned luxury goods. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have 150+ in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by hundreds of brands, from Gucci to Cartier, supporting the circular economy. We make consigning effortless with free in-home pickup, drop-off service and direct shipping for individual consignors and estates. At our stores in LA, NYC and San Francisco, customers can shop, consign, and meet with our experts. At our 10 Luxury Consignment Offices, four of which are in our retail stores, our expert staff provides free valuations. Founded in 2011 and listed publicly in 2019 (Nasdaq: REAL), we’re growing fast and fundamentally changing the way people buy and sell luxury — a multi-billion dollar industry. Build your career with us and enjoy 401K matching, health, dental and vision insurance, commuter flex spending, healthcare flex spending, generous PTO, a mother’s room, and flexible work hours!
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements.