Senior Product Designer, Growth
New York City
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB’s Growth team is looking for a Senior Product Designer who is passionate about creating great customer experiences and generating business impact. This designer should care deeply about our customers, getting them to experience core value as quickly as possible, and ultimately setting them on the road to success.
The right person for this role is someone that can identify problems, think through systems and connected experiences and ship work iteratively to validate and de-risk their work, while balancing the need for speed with polished, elegant solutions.
The Senior Product Designer, Growth role will be on the Product Design team, but also embedded on a dedicated cross-functional team with a singular purpose — growth. The Growth team is committed to expanding our product portfolio’s reach by testing hypotheses and experimenting within our Cloud Products and across the full customer experience.
- Ability to apply qualitative and quantitative data to iterate on existing new designs. Must be comfortable pivoting quickly in light of new data
- Ability to shape product strategy through insights and ideation
- Understanding of how research and design can work seamlessly together
- Strong visual design skills, but can deliver less than pixel-perfect mocks for discussion and ideation
- Knowledge of when to use data to inform possible design solutions, but doesn’t let the data dictate all possible pathways
- Experience with A/B testing is strongly preferred
- Ability to elicit ideas from other team members, brainstorm with other team members, and bring the best ideas to life through simple and elegant mocks
- Comfortable with ambiguity. The tight-knit Growth team doesn’t dogmatically follow a single process for the sake of following process, but continuously adjusts to do what makes sense to deliver value
- Intellectually curious, always asking “how can we improve?”
- Cares deeply about the impact of their work
- Has a positive, resourceful mindset, looking for ways to get things done instead of listing all the potential blockers
- Has a desire to always improve self, others and the experience our customers receive
- Humble, as the best ideas for product improvement may often come from others on the team
- Can confidently express firmly held beliefs, but also be convinced with new evidence
Did you check most of the boxes, but not all? That’s fine. There is no such thing as a “perfect candidate.” MongoDB is a place where everyone can grow and does grow. Our supportive, inclusive environment is a place where you can be your best self and safely ask others to help you get there. We just ask that you are open and honest where you might need a bit of extra support.
What makes our design team great?
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the team and for the customer
- We encourage open, honest, authentic communication that’s always respectful
- We use both primary research and user research to make sure our designs are based on facts vs. opinions
- We believe that good ideas come from everywhere and that we are the facilitators of great design vs. the sole creators of design
- We give each designer appropriate autonomy and ownership over their designs and encourage everyone to add their special
- “Sign-off” is more about providing guidance and helping to fill in gaps vs. command and control, dictatorial design
- We have a strong design feedback culture, but are embedded on small teams with engineering and product managers
- We like to have fun
Each person that joins our team adds something unique and special, changing the team for the better. If you’re passionate about Growth and this Design team sounds like one you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.