Product Design Manager
Remote in Bay Area until at least July 2021
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product designers, researchers, product writers, and design ops working closely with engineers and product managers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are engaging and useful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
Our design team is most effective when the designers have excellent managers coaching and developing them, giving thoughtful design feedback, and clearing away organizational obstacles that hinder the designers from doing their best work. Our Product Design Managers also play a critical role in working with Engineering Leads and Product Managers to define product strategy and priorities.
- Mentor and manage a team of product designers – including defining clear goals, prioritizing work, and building a culture that fosters trust and respect.
- Guide ongoing design work and uphold a high quality bar for the user experience.
- Facilitate collaboration between product design and various other functions, such as user research, brand marketing, engineering, product management, and analytics.
- Collaborate with other cross-functional leaders to define the vision, strategy, and goals for your product area.
- Communicate your area’s product plans to other cross-functional product teams, senior leadership, and the rest of the design team.
- Recruit, interview, and hire great product designers.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of experience working as part of a design team; 2+ year of experience managing product designers
- User-centric approach to designing products
- Emotional intelligence—the ability to truly understand what each individual on your team needs to thrive and feel fulfilled
- A portfolio of native and web app projects that showcases your design process, final designs, and impact
- A demonstrated ability to lead a project end-to-end and with a cross-functional team
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
- A history of proactively driving processes and solutions to ambiguous problems. Comfortable rolling up sleeves and working without formal requirement documents or top-down direction.
- Experience designing or managing in a two-sided marketplace
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Thumbtack Design Blog
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.