Senior UX Researcher, International Growth
We are looking to hire a Senior or Staff User Experience Researcher to help us answer foundational questions about our learners, around the world. This role will focus largely on defining global product strategy for the company, and identifying new initiatives to pursue in key markets. We’re searching for an empathetic sage who will advocate for our learners’ most important needs, while helping us identify how to grow the reach of Duolingo in key markets.
- Identify and define impactful research opportunities working with product managers, UX designers, regional marketing managers, and executive leaders
- Design and conduct foundational and evaluative research to guide executive decision-making
- Glean insights that are actionable and valuable to company leadership and product teams
- Work with PMs and designers to run usability studies of new designs and features
- Craft compelling narratives about our users’ needs, attitudes, aspirations, expectations, obstacles, and motivations
- Own relationships and the insight quality bar for international research vendor partnerships
- Bridge gaps between teams at our Pittsburgh headquarters and global offices in Berlin and Beijing
- International growth experience. Hands-on experience with the nuances of localization—not just translation. Deep appreciation for the work necessary to grow new users in international markets, through product, design, and marketing changes.
- Strong communication skills. A knack for getting to the heart of the matter, telling stories and being convincing—making the opaque feel obvious in hindsight. Ability to ask, as well as answer, meaningful and impactful research questions.
- Leadership. The proven ability to lead others through difficult problem solving and project pivots. Fostering a sense of collaboration and showcasing thought leadership appropriate for the given situation.
- 4+ years of experience successfully leading international user research projects, ideally at a consumer-focused product company
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Education, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field
- Expertise in a variety of qualitative research methods and frameworks, such as ethnographies, contextual inquiries, diary studies, personas, user journeys, card sorting, and usability studies
- Comfort with quantitative research methods, including surveys and statistical analysis
- Ability to work full-time from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA.
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Advanced degree in Anthropology, Statistics, Education, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field
- Fluency in multiple languages — the ability to conduct primary research in non-English
- Experience conducting international research in Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Germany, or China
- Experience thriving in a startup environment
- Experience working with consumer products for gaming or education
- Knowledge of SQL