Senior Technical Product Owner (Remote)
Join us as we work together to solve some of the most interesting and challenging engineering problems in the WordPress space through our partnerships with major publishers and technology companies.
The Senior Technical Product Owner (PO) is responsible for maximizing the value of the product the engineering team is building through effective management of the product vision and roadmap through the backlog. This is a highly technical role that requires deep understanding of complex software architecture and requirements.
Areas of Focus
- Backlog management, prioritization
- Defining user stories and acceptance criteria
- Adhering Backlog to Client prioritized deliverables
- Understanding the business, market, and user needs for the product
- Definition and alignment of product strategy, when necessary
- Clearly translate the product vision, all business and technical requirements, and user needs into epics and user stories (with acceptance criteria and intended solution design)
- Lead backlog development, maintenance, and prioritization
- Understand the SOW, and all deliverables
- Understand the product, its design and technical considerations, including complex software architecture and engineering considerations
- Advocate for priorities in Sprints
- Answer questions pertaining to priorities and product definition, as they arise
- Ensure tickets are groomed and ready ahead of Sprint Planning
- Facilitate Backlog Grooming meetings, and as needed, Sprint Planning and Sprint Review meetings
- Be the voice of the product vision, customer, and users
- Follow Agile methodologies established by the team
- When possible, develop and support the implementation of larger strategic goals that enhance the value of XWP’s involvement in the project
- Ensure that product strategy aligns with overall product vision
- Be a supportive team member and leader
- Be candid and respectful
- Maintain a growth mindset
- Did the project/product achieve the deliverables set forth by the Client?
- Were tickets adequately described?
- Were user stories created?
- Was acceptance criteria added?
- Did the development team feel they had details needed to execute on tickets at the onset of each sprint?
- Were development team questions answered in a timely manner?
- Did the project/product help the Client and Users achieve their goals to the degree we anticipated?
- Have we expanded the Client's project/product vision, if applicable?
This is a mid to senior-level role, with a typical pay range of USD $55 to $75 per hour for contractors or a salary for employees of $90,000 to $130,000 with benefits, depending on proven experience level and engagement terms.
You’ll be joining a remote-first, distributed team of over 50 people hailing from 5 continents, including Project Managers, Product Owners, Architects & Engineers, Quality Analysts, UX Architects & Designers. Enjoy benefits including:
- Trust and support from your colleagues (we look out for each other as we work towards a shared purpose)
- The rewards of a highly collaborative culture (we’re a team, not a working group)
- The joys of remote work: schedule flexibility, skip the commute, more time for family and interests outside of work
- The chance to play an important part in helping XWP achieve its full potential and make a meaningful difference for our clients, team members, and the WordPress community
- Significant (typically 5+ years) experience at the enterprise level, as a Technical Product Manager, Technical Product Owner, or Product Owner and Software Engineer
- Proven effectiveness engaging with remote, distributed teams
- Significant experience with agile methodologies (e.g. Scrum, Kanban)
- Proven track record delivering successful products and great team/client experiences
- Servant-leadership approach to team members and clients
- Demonstrated software architecture and/or engineering skills at the enterprise level
- Scrum training and certifications (e.g. CSPO or PSPO)
- Experience administering projects in Github and Atlassian’s Jira
- Some experience or training in user experience and/or user interface design
- Familiarity with high-scale WordPress installs and platforms like WordPress.com VIP
- An understanding of the WordPress community and recent developments in WordPress
- Passion for open source and giving back to the community
You will also want to have these characteristics:
- Highly organized, motivated, and execution-oriented
- Self-starter comfortable working in a highly technical environment
- Demonstrated ability for continuous learning, creativity, and problem-solving
- Ability to work effectively and dependably in a remote work environment.