Director of Product Design
Course Hero is scaling! The Design team is looking for an experienced product design leader to help redefine the way that we support our students as they master new topics on their way towards graduation. We want to develop longer-term relationships with our students and educators, and so we require a dynamic, creative, hands-on design leader with deep knowledge of how to drive engagement & retention. In this role, you will also be responsible for hiring, managing, and mentoring other designers and for helping to establish a team culture in which designers can do their very best work.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Partner cross-functionally with Product and Engineering leadership to contribute to our vision, strategy, and product roadmap. You’ll lead complex design initiatives that facilitate proficiency in concepts and courses. In this way you will continuously help us increase the value that we deliver to our educators and students
- Build a customer-focused culture throughout our company. You’ll partner with our User Research and Analytics & Data Science teams to understand students’ study behavior, and demonstrate qualitative and quantitative data to build thoughtful experiences that meet both user & business needs
- Be an active manager & mentor for designers, partnering with them to build opportunities as they chart their own career growth. You will hire & onboard new designers for our team, attracting top talent and leading performance to help us build an outstanding design team
- Lead our efforts to make our experience as mobile-friendly and cross-platform as possible, for example by contributing to our design system and shared set of design principles across the team
- Be one of the public faces of the Course Hero design team, evangelizing our brand in the public forums that you gravitate toward naturally
Are you our next Director of Product Design?
- 3+ years of leading a design team in a fast-growing company
- 10+ years of leading individual contributor role designing cross-channel user experiences across desktop web, mobile web, mobile apps, and other channels such as email
- Have a track record of using design to produce measurable business results & customer value
- Successfully launched habit-forming products that customers love and/or products that excel at helping users discover new content
- Systems problem solver and a creative problem-solver, with shown expertise turning sophisticated consumer problems into simple and engaging products, all the way from high-level concepts down into the UI details
- Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment and collaborating with product managers, engineers, researchers, customer support teams, marketers, and more. You have experience iterating on your products post-launch based on user data about how your designs are performing
- Excellent communication skills and a hands-on leadership style grounded in collaboration & ground-breaking candor
- Outstanding portfolio, showcasing your strong foundation in ideation, information architecture, interaction design, visual design, designing for accessibility, and producing high-impact business results
- Passion for evolving education to help more students graduate, more confident & more prepared
- Proven experience helping companies adopt user-centered design processes and establishing shared creative problem-solving practices across product teams
- Experience with marketplace products
- Experience designing products powered by Machine Learning and AI
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full private medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Retirement savings program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings
- Team lunches
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Social responsibility program (volunteer hours and donation matching program)
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out our Lecture Series videos
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
At Course Hero, we have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.