Senior Quantitative UX Researcher
We are looking to hire a Senior Quantitative Researcher to join our User Experience (UX) research team who will bring quantitative expertise to help us answer foundational questions about our learners, around the world. This role will focus largely on upleveling all survey work across Duolingo — driving impact through global, strategic, statistically significant insights. We’re searching for a survey scientist who will advocate for our learners’ most important needs, while helping us identify new opportunities to increase the efficacy of Duolingo for our learners.
- Identify, define, and measure impactful opportunities for quantitative goals and metrics, in collaboration with product managers, engineers, learning scientists, and executive leaders.
- Design and conduct foundational and evaluative surveys to guide executive decision-making. Manage on-going surveys for subscriber churn, awareness tracking, and other high level company metrics.
- Craft compelling narratives about our users’ needs, attitudes, aspirations, expectations, obstacles, and motivations, choosing the right formats to take raw data and make it comprehensible — through data visualization or thoughtful dashboard designs.
- Enable high quality and high ROI quantitative research to be conducted by non UX researchers.
- Deep quantitative research expertise. Hands-on experience with the nuances of surveys—from sampling to question crafting to rigorous analysis. Deep appreciation for the role survey insights can play in a cross-functional product team with product managers, designers, engineers, and data scientists. Expertise with multivariate analysis, statistical modeling, and other strategies to combine behavioral and self reported data to glean deeper insights.
- Strong communication skills. A knack for getting to the heart of the matter, telling stories and being convincing—making the opaque feel obvious in hindsight. Ability to ask, as well as answer, meaningful and impactful research questions, particularly through strong data visualization and clear, rigorous research reports.
- Leadership. The proven ability to lead others through difficult problem solving and project pivots. Fostering a sense of collaboration and showcasing thought leadership appropriate for the given situation.
- 3+ years of experience successfully leading survey projects and initiatives, ideally at a consumer-focused product company
- Expertise in a variety of quantitative research methods and frameworks, including experimental design, survey sampling frameworks and multivariate analysis
- Experience with SQL
- Mastery of a core set of tools for survey deployment (Qualtrics, etc.) and tools for data analysis (R, SAS, Python, etc,)
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Data Science, Human Factors, Computer Science, Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field
- Ability to work full-time from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Advanced degree in Anthropology, Statistics, Design-Research, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field
- Hands on experience running NPS surveys, awareness tracking, log analysis projects, or large scale segmentation work
- Experience thriving in a startup environment
- Experience working with consumer products for gaming or education