Manager, Product Marketing & Customer Strategy
Brooklyn, NY (Rent the Runway HQ)
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
The Product Marketing & Customer Strategy team is responsible for infusing deep customer-centricity into business decisions and the holistic user experience. Leveraging consumer, competitive, and cultural insights, we define the “customer vision” and “job to be done” for our product experiences. We then shepherd our products into the world in a way that fulfills those, and we continue to advocate for the customer far after launch. As stewards of the brand mission to the Product & Tech org, our team ensures that the dynamism, emotion, and magic of our brand is realized within our digital product experiences. Our mission is to keep the Customer organization navigating toward our North Star in the short and long term, while helping guide all teams to know when to let the customer lead our vision and when to have our vision lead the customer.
About the Role:
We are seeking an Associate Manager/Manager, Product Marketing & Customer Strategy to help drive critical business goals related to growth and resale/circular platform. The ideal candidate is excited about driving business growth and is constantly thinking about ways to reach more customers and bring them into the RTR ecosystem.
Our team owns product strategy and work across all platforms that is focused on organic growth. Our charter is to continuously improve the positioning of our offerings and increase acquisition and revenue through experience design + optimization, impactful messaging and customer education to ensure prospective customers understand RTR value props and choose the right offering for them.
In this role, you’ll work cross-functionally with brand marketing & content, revenue, and consumer product. You will have a holistic understanding of the entire funnel across marketing and product touch points and partner with XF partners to ideate on acquisition and revenue generating marketing campaigns and product features.
What You’ll Do:
Research, Insights, and Strategy
- Build and maintain a deep understanding of the target RTR customer (demographics, psychographics, wants/needs, etc.) through diverse research methods with outputs that include user segmentation, persona development, customer journey mapping, and more.
- Synthesize research findings into actionable insights for cross functional teams
- Use research-driven insights to surface short and long-term innovation. opportunities that address key consumer wants/needs, unlock new growth, and help advance RTR towards its north star vision.
Product Discovery, Development, and Marketing
- During the Product Discovery phase, use research-driven insights to (1) thoroughly define the target user segments, (2) identify clear customer needs/wants, and (3) articulate the value proposition via a Customer Job To Be Done (JTBD). Leveraging those, partner with Product and Design/UX within initial concepting, idea validation, and success definition phases.
- Lead customer research through all phases of the Product Development process to ensure that we are concepting, building and iterating products with a maniacal and nuanced understanding of our customer.
- Develop and deliver clear go-to-market briefs to the Marketing team, then ensure the final GTM plan delivers flawlessly on the consumer/product vision and business goals.
Product Reflection & Customer Success
- Deliver qualitative and quantitative insights to paint a deeper picture of customer usage and happiness of developed products and inform post launch marketing + content strategy.
- Identify opportunities long after a product launch to help develop and distill lessons learned into insights and strategies that can help us inform the company's short and long-term roadmaps.
- You have experience conducting primary and secondary research across mixed methodologies (quantitative + qualitative research)
- You are data driven and have strong analytical skills and can analyze user and performance data to establish clear measures of success and build compelling stories with data
- You are a customer experience enthusiast and passionate about creating great user experiences — you anticipate user needs and always advocate for them
- You are able to develop, execute, and communicate a long-term strategic vision, while also balancing immediate priorities and opportunities
- You have an understanding of A/B testing best practices
- You have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- You have strong project management skills and experience managing multiple competing priorities
- You are a great cross-functional collaborator, able to give and get feedback from designers, product managers, writers, and marketers
- You thrive in a fast-paced organization and enjoy working hard. You take initiative and are energized by challenges. You take pride in the quality of your work.
- Must be an independent, strategic, and creative thinker who is a strong team player and willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the well-being of our employees and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.