Senior Hardware Design Researcher
Simplisafe is looking for a Senior Design Researcher as we scale our Product Design team. This role is a great opportunity to influence and contribute our newest hardware and service developments. You will plan, conduct, and synthesize ethnographic design research to identify consumer insights and utilize these to guide your team’s direction.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against the entrenched giants, like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants, like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively. In service to this challenge, we are expanding our Product Design team to produce the most cutting-edge designs on the market for our next generation of products.
What you’ll do:
- Plan, conduct, synthesize qualitative design research to inform and inspire design strategy and product development
- Conduct ethnographic design research to identify user needs
- Synthesize raw research data to derive creative insights and opportunities
- Apply research insights to creative design solutions
- Collaborate with design team and other multidisciplinary teams
- Conduct Alpha and Beta product testing and validation.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- Be very confident with a wide variety of qualitative research methodologies, such as: conducting one-on-one interviews and ethnographic-style fieldwork, moderating group conversations, running live prototyping sessions, conducting co-design workshops, and engaging users remotely
- Conduct in-home design research to identify user needs
- Impactful and passionate communicative skills
- Inspire other team members through creativity
- A zeal for turning qualitative research data into themes and design opportunities
- Identify analogous research activities
- A passion for details
- 3+ years of professional experience in applied research, outside of academic training. This might include ethnographic-style fieldwork, design research, UX research, journalism, and others.
- Solid in translating research insights to creative design solutions
- Track record of working in highly collaborative design teams, or other multidisciplinary teams.
- Familiarity with working across a variety of sectors and industries
- Some experience with basic mixed methods research that includes quantitative data. In particular, designing simple surveys (with tools like Google Forms, Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey)
*Please note: this position does require the ability to travel when it is safe to do so.
Simplisafe is a home security company that is based in Boston, MA which creates and sells self-installed security systems. Our company was founded by Chad and Eleanor Laurens in 2006 when they had several friends whose homes were broken into. Chad and Eleanor started designing Simplisafe products in their own home when they realized there weren’t any solutions available on the market that were geared towards renters. From these humble beginnings, Simplisafe has become a major competitor in the home security market and was recently acquired by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
At Simplisafe, we place an emphasis on a ‘no-ego’, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Boston’s ‘Best Places to Work list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If Simplisafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!