Product Design Manager
Location: Anywhere in North America
Design at Stripe
We believe there are too many barriers to doing business on the internet, and that opportunities are not equally distributed throughout the world. We also think building and growing a business online is a problem rooted in code, language, and design—not finance.
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet and expand economic access globally. We’re designing tools and infrastructure to help our users start, run, and scale an online business from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a diverse set of designers of many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties to join our growing Design team.
The Design team works across many types of product initiatives at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, primary qualitative and quantitative research, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the Product Design team and the role
The Product Design team ensures Stripe’s products address meaningful, important problems, solving these problems in intuitive and innovative ways. Our team advocates for great products from a deep understanding of user needs, constantly raising the bar on consistency, usability, and delight. We do this through the practice of UX design, the development of design systems and tooling, product writing, and design research.
Our products include the Stripe Dashboard on web and mobile, which users rely on to run their business, as well as internal tools that other Stripes use to help our users and protect them against fraud or malicious actors. Other products we work on include Sigma, Radar, Capital, Terminal, our external docs, and more. The boundaries between teams are permeable, so you can certainly expect to collaborate with other designers and managers on a broad set of design challenges that don’t fall neatly into the Product Design category.
We’re looking for an experienced design manager who will have the chance to help build, coach, and mentor a quickly growing and highly skilled group of designers. We go to extraordinary lengths to produce world-class work, and you will get to both deploy your hard-earned experience and build your skills in an organization where your area of work is highly valued.
- Manage a quickly growing and business-critical team
- Manage a team of designers working on Stripe’s core product experiences and solving some of the most complex design problems around today
- Grow the team to meet business demands and employee development needs
- Partner closely with Design Operations to manage resourcing of projects
- Collaborate with Design and Stripe leadership to determine design direction
- Inspire, motivate, and lead designers across experience levels to do the best work of their career
- Work closely with our Product Management, Product Engineering, Comms, Marketing, and senior leadership to deliver stunning and effective work
You may be fit for this role if:
- You’ve managed a team of product designers before
- You have experience methodically developing designers’ skills and careers
- You excel at motivating and inspiring people to do their best work
- You have experience recruiting and building product design teams
- You are relentlessly customer-focused
- You have 4+ years of people management experience
- You excel at both written and spoken communication
- Your best work is done in a highly collaborative way
- You can find a meaningful balance between optimizing for speed, quality, and doing risky, but interesting work
Note: It's not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we're looking for candidates that are particularly strong in at least one area, and have some interest and capabilities in the others.
You should include these in your application:
- Your LinkedIn profile or resume
- A link to your portfolio (even if it consists of or includes work done by your team)