Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning Dynamic Merchandising
Wayfair customer’s experience is increasingly driven by a cutting-edge set of machine learning systems that interact in complex ways to ensure that we are using our rich datasets to their full potential. Business applications of these learning systems span many fields including recommendations, marketing, supply chain optimization and merchandising. These fields require a sophisticated technology stack that allow for complex machine learning models combined with configurability for rapid testing and exploration.
Wayfair is in the midst of a multi-year investment to greatly enhance the flexibility and personalization of the customer’s shopping experience. To realize the benefits of this investment, we must be able to operationalize fast, intelligent decisions about what to show customers with significantly increased degrees of freedom for product configuration. We need to build substantial new machine learning capabilities, built on much more granular product data, to bring this capability to life.
We are looking for a seasoned Product Management professional to accelerate the development of that system. The Machine Learning Platforms Product Manager will play a central role in developing our machine learning capabilities across the entire company. This is a unique role in which you will act as the product lead on a cross-functional team being assembled to build and integrate this new capability across our catalog, storefront, and personalization technology groups.
You will have a variety of stakeholders and partners in both engineering and data science. You will work with them to understand our customer pain points, our internal business KPIs, and our current technical gaps to develop a platform that advances our ability to delight the customer. You’ll translate business asks into sensible technical specifications for your engineering team, making smart trade-offs between time and complexity to develop MVPs. You’ll serve as the subject matter expert on the platform, push for adoption for new use cases, and continually expand our machine learning capabilities.
What you’ll do:
- Act as a senior leader on a cross-functional team building a new strategic capability that spans multiple domains of the company
- Be a subject matter expert responsible for defining the vision for how a major area of Wayfair's recommendation technology will evolve to optimally support the needs of an increasingly personalized customer experience
- Operate with high autonomy and ownership, creating strong relationships with senior cross-functional leaders (both technical and non-technical), establish a shared vision for success, and deliver results that create meaningful business impact
- Lead problem scoping and discovery across multiple functional areas, drive requirements synthesis, and facilitate prioritization to determine how Wayfair should enhance it's personalized recommendation capabilities to optimize speed-to-value
- Prioritize many requests and ideas for features by understanding the business value and impact, weighed against the risks and development cost
- Maintain a product vision and roadmap, keeping stakeholders and constituents aligned on priorities and expectations for top-level goals and timelines
- Evangelize your product internally to various departments to ensure all available users know about your product and how they could derive value from it
- Translate business initiatives into engineering stories/tickets, providing well-defined problems that allow engineering to run freely and efficiently with solutions
- Deeply understand the technology used in your products, the strong and weak points, and become an expert at what is available
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years of product experience in the digital space, building and enhancing complex software platforms that function within distributed systems. Strong preference for ML, ecommerce and/or recommender systems
- Strong written and verbal communication and a demonstrated ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Demonstrable ability to be technically hands-on, up to architecting high-level system plans (no coding)
- Proven SQL knowledge – can use SQL to pull ad hoc data when necessary
- Understanding of Data Science and Machine Learning fields on a high level
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional initiatives by establishing strong partnerships with peers and senior leaders, effectively setting expectations, managing conflict, and creating buy-in for recommendations
- Ability to work across several stakeholder groups and juggle competing priorities simultaneously
- Proven ability to take a highly complex or ambiguous business problem, successfully lead strategic vision setting, and identify and prioritize near-term actions
- Proven ability to lead an iterative software development team - experience working with a large engineering team, running their sprints, stand-ups, and backlog
- Demonstrate of senior presence and ability be the leader and face of your product to senior leadership
- Familiarity with ML and big data technologies
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.