(Senior) UX Designer
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
You will work closely with our team of designers and researchers, hardware and software engineers, and product owners to solve key challenges in user experience, technology, and design.
You are excited about the technical possibilities of mixed reality, and can't wait to get your hands on designing for these experiences. You are curious and love experimenting, sharing ideas rapidly, and improving on your work based on user feedback. You understand that designing for good user experience requires talking to the end users, and you know how to turn end-user insights into UX requirements and UX designs. You have the patience to work through the initial concept creation and ideation all the way to perfecting your designs hands-on with the engineers. You ideally already have experience in designing for environments other than the flat 2D world, and you understand the UX design challenges in spatial experiences.
This is a full-time position in the Design and Research team. Right now, we are working more or less remotely, but once things get back to normal, your workplace will be in our headquarters in Helsinki, Finland. We are flexible with working arrangements and willing to discuss options for remote work or commuting from other cities in Finland. However, tasks related to research and prototyping will require hands-on work at site in our offices from time to time.
- Design the user experience and user interfaces across all Varjo’s software and hardware products and services on Windows desktop, cloud, web, and in-headset.
- Understand the user needs and identify opportunities to solve them.
- Explore user experience concepts, create quick sketches, prototypes, and user flows to communicate and share your ideas.
- Present your ideas to your peers and stakeholders, gather feedback and iterate the design further.
- Create and maintain the necessary design documentation to communicate and share the design: UI wireframes, click-through prototypes, flowcharts, and state diagrams.
- Participate in design research, test concept ideas, and collect feedback from users to iterate the designs further. Aim to make sure our products are both usable and desirable.
- Work with the software developers to make sure that the designs work in their planned context and are implemented to the highest quality.
- Work alongside our R&D organization, influencing decisions on what kind of hardware and software should be built into our future devices and services.
- 3 years of relevant professional and creative experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a related field.
- Proficiency with relevant industry standard software on Windows environment – including Adobe XD, Illustrator, and MS Office.
- Knowledge of user experience design, service design, usability, and qualitative and quantitative design research methods.
- Hands-on experience in working together with developers.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Collaboration skills and flexibility to work as a team both face-to-face and in various remote team setups.
- Capability to effectively manage your time between multiple simultaneous projects.
- Language requirements: Our daily working language is English – you should be fluent and confident in expressing yourself in English both in writing and spoken. Finnish language skills are useful but not mandatory.
In addition, any of the following skills are considered an advantage while not a requirement:
- Prior experience of designing for 3D.
- Experience with Unity or Unreal.
- Prior experience of design research and usability testing.
- Opportunity to take part in creating the new state of art in virtual reality and mixed reality experiences.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country.
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits.
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki.
Are you the person we are looking for? Want to join a journey of redefining computing? Ready to join? Apply now.
Please include a portfolio showcasing work you are especially proud of, with details on what you did in those projects. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training, and experience are encouraged to apply.