3D UX Engineer
At Varjo we create hardware and software experiences to fulfill our vision of immersive computing. The mixed reality experiences we are creating will empower each of us to be more creative and more productive.
We want to work with the best – we want you to join us. We are offering you an exciting position where you can see into the future and play your part in shaping it.
When we are done, computers will look nothing like what they do right now.
You will work hands-on with our team of designers and researchers, hardware and software engineers, and product owners to solve key challenges in user experience, technology, and design.
You are passionate to explore what works and what doesn't within the possibilities of the high-end technology we are creating. Your work involves designing the detailed interactions and user interfaces for our headsets. You have experience in designing for spatial experiences, and you can use your 3D prototyping skills to iterate on UX concepts or visualize design alternatives.
Your work extends into the functional logic of how 3D interfaces are implemented and presented to the end user. You will work on Varjo’s unique technology solutions for display rendering, eye tracking, and positional tracking, just to mention a few. Your work includes designing and defining the interactions, and you understand that user experience consists of various hidden UX choices such as functional logic, parameters, triggers, and thresholds. You understand human factors in mixed reality, and know that when it comes to virtual experiences, end users are different: what works for one may make another feel sick. You are not afraid of the tech jargon and concepts like foveated rendering, inside-out tracking, depth awareness, or optical distortions, and you work on bending the technology enablers into well-working user experience. You will often find yourself asking, can we even fix this with software, or is it the hardware we should change instead.
This is a full-time position in the Design and Research team. Right now, we are working more or less remotely, but once things get back to normal, your workplace will be in our headquarters in Helsinki, Finland. We are flexible with working arrangements and willing to discuss options for remote work or commuting from other cities in Finland. However, tasks related to research and prototyping will require hands-on work at site in our offices from time to time.
- Design the user experience and user interfaces across all Varjo’s software and hardware products and services on Windows desktop, cloud, web, and in-headset.
- Understand the user needs and identify opportunities to solve them.
- Work hands-on with the software developers to make sure that the designs work in their planned context and are implemented to the highest quality. Have passion to handle designs up to completion and shipping.
- Understand the possibilities and limitations created in virtual and mixed reality and design for the human factors associated with them.
- Organize user research studies to test the UX solutions, understand the problem space, and identify areas for improvement.
- Maintain your knowledge and skills in relation to what can be done with the latest software and hardware capabilities.
- Work alongside our R&D organization, influencing decisions on what kind of hardware and software should be built into our future devices and services.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant professional and creative experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction design, or a related field.
- Technical background with knowledge of computer graphics, 3d graphics, and virtual reality headsets.
- Experience in working with Unity or Unreal Engine.
- Knowledge of user experience design, interaction design, usability, and qualitative and quantitative design research methods.
- Understanding of user experience differences between 2D and 3D, and constraints for designing for 3D.
- Willingness and patience to work hands-on with emerging and prototype technology, technical prototypes, and hardware concepts. Things will break and change over time.
- Collaboration skills and flexibility to work as a team both face-to-face and in various remote team setups.
- Capability to effectively manage your time between multiple simultaneous projects.
- Language requirements: Our daily working language is English – you should be fluent and confident in expressing yourself in English both in writing and spoken. Finnish language skills are useful but not mandatory.
- Prior experience of usability testing is a plus.
- Opportunity to take part in creating the new state of art in virtual reality and mixed reality experiences.
- The possibility to select the tools and methods you want to use to do your job effectively.
- Competitive salary in the capital of the world's happiest country.
- Premium employee medical coverage with life insurance and disability benefits.
- Office located right in the middle of downtown Helsinki.
Are you the person we are looking for? Want to join a journey of redefining computing? Ready to join? Apply now.
Please include a portfolio showcasing work you are especially proud of, with details on what you did in those projects. Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
This role will be filled as soon as the suitable candidate will be found.
Candidates with a suitable combination of education, training, and experience are encouraged to apply.