Senior Product Manager, Data Solutions
Posted 1 month ago
Wayfair Data Engineering is the engine that powers our data obsessed eCommerce enterprise. We move fast, iterating quickly on big business problems. We work smart, applying technology to unlock insights and provide outsized value to our customers. We swing big, knowing our customers won't benefit from micro optimizations. Leveraging the largest data set for products sold in the Home space, this team treats data as an asset and determines how to maximize its business value and extend our competitive advantage.
As a Senior Product Manager, you are a strategic thinker who collaborates with senior leaders across the organization to understand how data, reporting, analytical tools, and analysis will catalyze the business. You will define the data platform roadmap, determine the complexion of resources needed to execute, and oversee the development of a wide range of analytical and data products for our rapidly growing Merchandising & Catalog operations. You will shape the vision for the iterative evolution of our cloud data platform, covering real-time ingestion & data warehousing, curated data layer development, and data access layer development.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with leaders of functional areas (e.g., Merchandising, Marketing, Operations) to develop complex analyses and innovative analytic solutions that lead to actionable insights that accelerate profitable growth
- Lead team(s) and develop best in class strategies and tactics that are grounded in data and insights.
- You will own your roadmap, maniacally measure performance, keep your pulse on the customer, anticipate bottlenecks, make tradeoffs, and take acceptable risks to maximize the benefit for our customer and business
- Leverage agile project management disciplines for planning and execution of data engineering projects, including design, prototyping, rapid iteration, development, testing and deployment
- Proactively identify areas where our data engineering, cloud data lake & advanced analytical efforts can produce a strong value add and incorporate them into the roadmap.
- Provide leadership on corporate initiatives by working with executives and acting as a thought partner with a cross functional leadership team.
- Manage and mentor associates and leaders; ensure the team is being challenged, exposed to new opportunities, and learning, while still being able to deliver on ambitious goals.
- Guide and provide feedback on prototype development by Data Engineers, be a trusted source of data and insights for the business.
- Keep current on big data and data visualization technology trends
Who You Are
- Track record of building high-impact consumer products
- Ability to think and perform both tactically and strategically
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience turning data into actionable insights
- Deep understanding of business strategy and metrics
- Passionate about building functional and engaging user experiences as well as about big data - comfortable working with datasets of varying latencies and size and disparate platforms
- Cross functional leadership experience
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias for customer focused innovation
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic, fast-paced organization
- Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Experience managing a team is a plus
- Excited about unlocking the valuable data hidden in inaccessible raw tables and logs
- Attentive to detail and with a relentless focus on accuracy
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, strong business acumen, critical thinking, and ability to work cross functionally through collaboration with engineering and business partners.
What You Have
- Strong business acumen, analytical skills and technical abilities along with problem solving skills
- Demonstrated success influencing senior level stakeholders on strategic direction based on recommendations backed by in-depth analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience designing and implementing highly visible, complex, and innovative analytical solutions
- Experience mentoring and developing of a team of technically-savvy analysts and engineers.
- Experience with SQL (incl. Aggregate functions, joins, etc.) or structured computer programming language(s) (e.g. Python, Java, R, SAS)
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Analytics, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems, Economics, Management or other quantitative discipline field with strong academic record.
What we’d love to see (but isn’t required)
- Ecommerce or retail analytics experience a strong plus
- Experienced working with cloud platforms such as Google Cloud Platform (preferred), AWS, Azure, or Snowflake at scale.
- Experience working with database management systems (such as Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server) and analytical technologies in the industry including MPP (Vertica, Teradata, Redshift) and NoSQL databases (such as Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis, Aerospike).
- Experience with one or more relevant tools (Sqoop, Flume, Kafka, Avro, Parquet) and SQL-on-Hadoop technology (Hive, Spark SQL, Presto)
- Experience with real-time data streaming tools like Kafka, Kinesis, Apache Storm or any similar tools.
- Experience in development of custom built BI and big data reporting solutions using tools like DataStudio, Looker, Tableau, AtScale, PowerBI, Qlik, or any similar tools.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.