Product Design Engineer
Cupertino, California, USA
Posted 1 month ago
Echo Frames is Amazon's first prescription-ready smart glasses. The vision of the product is to allow our customers to bring the magic of Alexa on-the-go, to get more done and be more present. The team is focused on bringing technology and design into a form that is familiar to millions of glasses wearers, in a way that has never been done by any other company before. If you are excited about pushing the envelope and developing brand new experiences for consumers, we would love to meet you.
As a Product Design Engineer on our team, you will be responsible for the mechanical design, development, and quality of consumer electronic products. We are looking for candidates who thrive in a fast paced start-up like environment and want to invent the future. In the role, you will wear many hats in working on the system design down to quick turn prototypes, manufacturing production process, testing, and quality control. You will play a role in defining processes and methods to improve the productivity of the entire team. You will identify and initiate investigations of production technologies, prototype and test solutions for product features, and design and validate production designs that deliver an exceptional user experience.
You will work in a small PD team to create a new experience and work with the team at large to ensure a functional and beautiful product. To be successful you need to be highly motivated, understand how to solve problems and dive deep while delivering to the highest standards.
You will demonstrate a strong working knowledge of mechanical systems, with expertise in systems integration; the desire to learn from new challenges and the problem solving and communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and to respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments. In this role, you will:
· Research into materials and component technologies to scope development opportunities
· Feature design and testing to meet program objective
· Test failure analysis and solution validation to complete successful product development
· Provide detailed part design and product documentation
· Field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
· Support positive team interactions to accomplish program objectives
· Provide cross-functional program integration support to ensure team success
· Lead project teams to timely delivery of products
· Manage schedules and milestones
· Manage interaction with overseas resources
· Apply technical expertise to problem solving throughout product lifecycle
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life harmony. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to long term happiness and fulfillment. There are phases of high intensity including in-office/lab work, cross-time zone communications, and we work with team members to build in flexibility and encourage time to re-energize outside of work. We will continue to evolve to optimize our efforts and results as a cohesive team to develop delightful products for our customers.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
· 5+ years of experience, consumer/handheld product development
· 5+ years of experience in product validation (Shock/Drop, Cycle Testing, Environmental Testing)
Preferred Qualifications· Master’s degree
· Experience with 3D CAD skills, ProEngineer
· Experience creating surface model and top-down design architecture
· Knowledge of Tolerance Analysis and Statistical Process Control (Cp, CpK)
· Demonstrated knowledge of tooling and materials process validation (SPC, Cp, CpK)
· Demonstrated design experience with high volume/high finish consumer electronics enclosure materials
· Demonstrated design experience integrating component modules (I/O, Displays, Batteries, PCBs, etc.)
· Analytic problem solving skills, including knowledge of 8D, Six Sigma, DOE or similar disciplines
· Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills
· Proficiency with Design for Cost and Design for Manufacture for consumer products
· Strong analytical skills
· Strong communication and documentation skills and ability to operate autonomously
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit. https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Job tags: Architecture Engineering Product design Prototypes Research User experience
Job region(s): North America
Job stats: 0 0 0