Product Designer, Member Experience
New York, New York, United States
Posted 1 month ago
Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Product Designer to join our Digital Member Experience (DMX) team.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About the role
Our Design Org is a multidisciplinary team that examines the entire member journey and considers the design of systems to be as important as the artifacts we make. Our practice is human-centered, our work is rooted in empathy and research, and we lead by example and with our values.
As our Product Designer: you will help us explore, design, and shape the vision for the tools that enable Oscar to thoughtfully route members to care, helping to select providers and plan their upcoming visit costs. In your day-to-day, you will generate and explore ideas, design, test and ship high-quality features, partner with your peers to shape roadmaps and define goals for high-impact work, and challenge what healthcare looks like.
This role reports to the DMX Group Product Design Manager in our NYC office.
- Define the experiences within the end-to-end journey of searching for care, from the moment a member signs up for Oscar, to their appointment with an Oscar provider
- Become an expert on various care journey related personas, and champion the needs of the user to the larger org
- Own the design process and partner closely with cross-functional peers like product managers, tech leads, engineers, data scientists and business stakeholders to drive clarity around strategy and alignment on solutions
- Collaborate with other product designers across the organization with feedback during critiques and thoughtful contributions to the design team at large
- Structure and conduct outcomes-driven user research and usability testing
- Design visually compelling experiences for all members and contribute to the Oscar design language system (anatomy)
- Years of experience: 3+
- Concrete examples of designing and shipping web and mobile interfaces
- Experience with user research and prototyping
- Ability to think through complex systems
- Passion for fixing healthcare
- Ability to translate requirements, goals, and research into simple and useful UI
- Genuine and inquisitive, humble yet determined. We’re a team that’s excited to learn from each other and about ourselves, whether that’s through wild ideas or constructive criticism. We work hard to nurture a creative environment where we can take risks, grow, and do better work.
We value designers from diverse backgrounds and will consider candidates with different types of education and relevant professional experiences in determining qualification. If you feel qualified, please apply. Your experiences and your demonstrated skill sets are far more important than your level or industry expectations.
- Experience with the healthcare space
- Illustration, animation or other forms of storytelling
- Interest in design ethics, accessibility, and other topics relevant to the healthcare space
Life at Oscar
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.