Director of R&D - UX Platform
Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada or Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ready to make an impact? Arctic Wolf seeks a Director of R&D – UX Platform to join our pack.
Arctic Wolf, fresh off its unicorn valuation, is the leader in security operations in an exciting and fast-growing industry—cybersecurity. How fast are we growing? Well, Arctic Wolf was highly ranked in the Deloitte Fast Technology 500 for North America in both 2019 (#25) and 2020 (#104)! We have doubled headcount, customers, and revenue for five years running.
We are also cultivating a collaborative and productive work environment that welcomes a diversity of backgrounds and ideas to make our teams even stronger. In fact, we are recognized as one of the 2020 Best Places to Work (bizjournals.com).
As we believe in corporate responsibility, Arctic Wolf offices across North America participate in volunteer programs throughout their communities. We’ve also earned distinction from TravelWise for our efforts in promoting sustainable transportation.
About the Role:
In this Director of the UX Platform team you will be responsible for leading a team of designers and software developers that are building Arctic Wolf’s UX Platform. This platform will be used to build all of Arctic Wolf’s user interfaces and workflows.
You will be responsible for defining, implementing, and driving the adoption of the Arctic Wolf UX Platform. This is inclusive of leading the design for the User Experience, and the UI Framework with the design and development team. The scope of the role includes ensuring the execution of the product roadmap, managing the R&D budget, hiring talent, and the enabling the career growth of our team members.
As our ideal candidate you are a strong software developer, designer, and people leader who has a track record of building and developing stellar design and development teams.
- Lead the UI Framework development team. Helping them build the architecture, APIs, and code needed to deliver the Arctic Wolf UX platform
- Work closely with developers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development
- Collaborate with development leaders from other teams to ensure adoption of the new UX Platform and UI Framework across the organization
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules
- Oversee the full software development life cycle
- Lead the Design team. Helping them to develop and implement a set of platform-wide data driven UX design standards
- Setup UX processes to create a sustainable design culture that can scale as the team grows, while maintaining a cohesive design across various form factors, features, and product lines.
- Clearly articulate design decisions to a vast set of internal stakeholders
- Synthesize expansive and ambiguous business requirements and accomplish them through design
- Coach teams through the process of planning, navigating trade-offs, stakeholder management and driving timely resolutions
- Lead by example. Instill the Arctic Wolf Development Principles by living them on a daily basis
- Ensure teams are highly motivated, performing well, and delivering work on time
- Remove any blockers preventing teams from getting their work done
- Make sure each team is clear on the objectives and goals they are striving to achieve
- Ensure team is adhering to all SOC2 controls, secure coding practices, and acceptable use policies
- Approve vacation, conference and training expenses, and other minor administrative tasks
Required Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years' experience as a UI developer and/or UI/UX designer, with at least 5 years of experience in building and leading strong engineering teams
- Skilled with common front-end technologies such as HTML, CSS, JS, TypeScript, and Node
- Experience in one or more relevant front-end frameworks such as React, Angular, JQuery, etc.
- Experience creating wireframes, mockups, prototypes for complex web applications and/or workflows.
- Experience in acquiring user data (e.g., conducting usability studies, performing user research) and using it to inform your designs.
- An online portfolio demonstrating samples of design deliverables (such as personas, journey maps, wireframes, prototypes, and user research) as well as evidence of working with product teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to deliver rationale for design decisions
- Resourceful self-starter with a positive, can-do attitude
- High EQ and sense of empathy
- Experience with modern development methodologies (Agile, Kanban, XP, etc.)
- Demonstrated technical project management skills
Each successful candidate will be required to pass a criminal background check and an employment verification as a condition of employment.
Working at Arctic Wolf:
Arctic Wolf recognizes that success comes from delighting our customers, so we work together to ensure that happens every day. We believe in diversity and inclusion, and truly value the unique qualities all employees bring to the organization. And we appreciate that—by protecting people’s and organizations’ sensitive data— we get to work in an industry that is fundamental to the greater good.
All wolves receive compelling compensation and benefits packages, including:
- Equity for all employees
- Paid parental leave
- Training and career development programs
If you're excited about this role, but do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We review all applications and still may consider you the right person for the role or have another open position where you’re the perfect fit.
Arctic Wolf is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other basis forbidden under federal, provincial, or local law.
Arctic Wolf is committed to fostering a welcoming, accessible, respectful, and inclusive environment that ensures equal access and participation for people with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any accommodations by emailing email@example.com