Senior Product Designer, Tax Products
San Francisco, California, United States
The Company You’ll Join
At Carta we create owners and make private markets liquid.
We live in a world where some people live on the equity stack and enjoy exponential wealth growth and preferential tax treatment; others live on the debt stack and may work their entire lives for a company and retire only with the cash they’ve managed to save from their paychecks. Our contribution to solving the wealth inequality problem is moving people from the debt stack (payroll) to the equity stack. By making it as easy to issue equity to employees as it is to put them on payroll, we can create more owners.
At Carta, we are helpful, transparent, fair, and kind. We are relentless executors, unconventional thinkers, and masters of our craft.
To learn more, here is what one of our investors wrote about leading our Series F.
The Team You’ll Work With
When people manage assets, one of the big considerations they have is, “How will this affect what I pay in taxes.” That’s true when an employee exercises options or a long-term stakeholder sells shares in a CartaX or tender offer transaction. It’s a problem that has a meaningful impact on people’s decisions, and yet the process today feels very opaque. We’re looking for a designer to join our taxes team that will help employees, investors, and other shareholders understand their transactions and their tax impact. You’ll be helping affect our entire network of users--including the tax tools you yourself would want as an employee. This is a chance to solve your own problems.
The Problems You’ll Solve
As a Product Designer working with the Tax team, you will:
- Leverage user research, rapid prototyping, and data insights to identify ways to improve the Tax Products team’s products and user experiences.
- Understand the tax space deeply - e.g. what data is needed to build a tax model, how can we visualize and unlock this data to solve real customer pain points, etc.
- Collaborate across multiple business and cross-functional stakeholders. The Tax Products works closely with our Shareholder Experience product offering as well as our Data, Corporations, and Investor Services teams.
- Understand design, engineering, product, and business requirements that underpin complex, cross-functional initiatives.
- Leverage our design system (Ink) to bring your designs to life alongside our front end engineers.
The Impact You’ll Have
Working with the Tax Products team offers product designers a unique experience to create simplicity out of confusion and see how data can be leveraged across the entire Carta network for good. You’ll tackle tricky design problems and think through complex interactions to deliver important tax workflows to companies, investors, and employees.
Successful Carta product designers:
- Understand Scope & Complexity: Leverages design experience to simplify complex problems to their essential elements. Knows how to create simple and elegant design solutions to complicated problems.
- Design Craft & Quality: Creates high quality solutions to problems. Understands how to move problems through the ideation, iteration, and shipping cycle. Has the tools and frameworks to deliver best-in-class design solutions.
- Autonomy & Leadership: Doesn’t stay stuck. When faced with difficult challenges finds a way to keep moving things forward. Maybe that means finding helpful data or trying a new approach. Design isn’t static, it’s constant motion and this designer doesn’t need to be given directions.
- Communication & Collaboration: Works well across stakeholder groups of all backgrounds: sales, marketing, engineering, product, etc. Communicates why design decisions were made and how they help deliver great user experiences.
- Vision & Strategy: In addition to understanding a user’s problems today, Carta product designers also have an eye to the future: what will a user want in a year? In 5 years? How can we constantly challenge ourselves to innovate?
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.