Lead Product Designer
London, England, United Kingdom
We are Zego - a commercial motor insurance provider that powers opportunities for businesses, from entire fleets of vehicles to self-employed drivers and riders. We combine best-in-class technology with sophisticated data sources to offer insurance products that save businesses time and money.
Since our inception, we have believed that the problem with traditional insurance is that it holds businesses back. It’s too expensive and time consuming, and it no longer suits businesses who use vehicles to earn money. Our products represent a solution to this problem for businesses based across the UK, Europe and beyond.
So far, we have raised over $200 million in funding and we were the first UK insurtech to be valued at over $1 billion. We were also the first to be awarded our own insurance license and recently won Tech Company of the Year 2020.
At Zego, we are proud to say we have a diverse and inclusive team, unified by our shared values and mission. Our people are the most important part of our story and everybody at Zego, no matter their role, has an integral part to play.
We are looking for a Lead Product Designer to manage, grow and support designers working across multiple squads. You’ll be responsible for maintaining visual consistency across our interfaces, evolving our design system and pushing the boundaries of our digital experience, in alignment with other teams in the company and with guidance from the Head of Design and Experience, which you’ll be reporting into.
Overview of the RXD team
The RXD team (Research, Experience, Design) covers disciplines that are critical to Zego’s success, and we want it to be a place where designers and researchers have the opportunity to collaborate, grow and bring the user to every part of our decision making. We work hand in hand with product, engineering and business stakeholders, working in an Agile environment of cross-functional teams to ensure that we deliver high quality experiences and interfaces with every product we ship. You can learn a bit more about the team here.
Purpose of the role
To define and design incredible user experiences and interfaces for our customers, be they individuals, brokers, large enterprises or even internal staff. This role will directly manage a growing team of designers, as well as doing hands-on work on our design system and what may be required by the company’s agile squads. Supported by your manager and other leads, you’ll lead and shape digital design at Zego.
Joining our design team, you’ll be working with Zegons from almost every discipline in the company to ensure we understand our customers, while helping to save them time and money.
What you will be working on
- You will own the direction of the UX and UI of our digital platforms, websites and apps, in collaboration and alignment with multiple stakeholders
- You’ll be mentoring and developing the fantastic people in your team, ensuring everyone is clear on their priorities and feels supported in achieving them, sharing and giving feedback to promote growth
- You will promote good and open communication within design and the with the wider team, ensuring everyone is clear on their priorities and feels supported in achieving them, sharing and giving feedback
- You will use, evolve and regulate our Design System and encourage best practices and processes, such as performing regular usability testing and using research and analytics to inform design decisions
- You will form strong relationships and evolve processes and ways of working with many relevant departments (including in engineering, product, research, marketing, customer support and data), ensuring a big-picture view of our customer journeys and how best to support them
What you will need to be successful
- You have proven experience of leading a team or mentoring other designers
- You're an expert in UX/UI principles, methodologies and best practices, with experience in taking complex concepts and transforming them into intuitive and simple-looking interfaces
- You have extensive practical experience influencing product and business stakeholders, facilitating productive discussions, discovery phases and workshops. You ensure alignment of priorities and requirements that keep the customer at the centre of the experience
- You are familiar with working with Design Systems and best practices in design patterns, as well as a sharp understanding of Front End development constrictions and opportunities
- You are a creative problem-solver, have a passion for data-driven solutions
- You have empathy, both towards our customers’ needs and your colleagues across the company. You can appreciate and aid in everyone’s efforts into reaching our collective goals, collaborating daily with other departments
What it's like to work @ Zego
Zego has a truly international and inclusive team, unified by great ideas and collaborative thoughtfulness. Our people are the most important part of our story and everyone plays an essential role in our journey. We look for people who have expertise, enthusiasm and who are motivated by change. There’s plenty of room to learn and grow, as part of our ongoing training programmes or directly from other experts. You’ll work alongside a talented group of people who respect each other's differences and seek to understand fresh perspectives.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.