Senior Product Designer, Editorial Product Experience
New York, NY
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Senior Product Designer, Editorial Product Experience (NYM & Vox)
We’re taking what it means to be a designer in media to new heights by building a best-in-class cross-disciplinary design team at Vox Media, from our Product Design team that builds the best platform for digital publishing in the industry, to our Brand Design Team that works across a suite of powerhouse editorial networks, to our Revenue Design Team that designs beautiful ad products and partners with our sponsors. Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. At Vox Media, you can be part of a remote friendly culture with people in New York, DC, San Francisco, Austin, New Orleans, and quite a few cities in between. Our jobs are well compensated and come with excellent and progressive benefits—including flexible hours, generous paid parental leave, and trans-inclusive healthcare.
About the Role
The Editorial Product Experience team is responsible for defining the end-user audience experience vision around our editorial products and for owning the design and development of the audience experience across Vox Media's full portfolio. We’re looking for a Product Designer with a track record of working on editorial publications in the digital space who can bring the best principles of product, editorial and brand design holistically together in order to make sure that our products are engaging, useful and beautiful. This role will provide an opportunity to work across all Vox Media editorial properties.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with developers, product managers and editorial teams on projects spanning a broad range including building full site experiences as well as designing the system of layouts, pages and components used by our brands and on our sites.
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translate research insights into ideas that form smart solutions, sketch and prototype these ideas to quickly assess viability, and then design detailed interaction behaviors.
- Design off-site editorial experiences including AMP, Apple News, email/newsletters, etc, as well as unique editorial experiences built-in service of a single site or collection of sites
- Evaluate the success of existing products and features, and develop designs to support business objectives.
- Act as an advocate for the user, reader, viewer or customer in support of those business objectives.
- Be an active participant in the conversation around the strategy for improving the user experience in our products, in both current and future form.
What you’ll bring
- 5-9 years of visual/product design experience, preferably in digital media. Editorial experience/background is a plus.
- Degree in Visual Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Motion, Fine Art, Architecture, or a related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree).
- Excellent typography knowledge and skills, experience with complex typographical systems and hierarchies
- Ability to create design systems that are scalable.
- Strong visual awareness and sensibility, and the ability to translate brand identities from one platform to another, and the ability to synthesize brand and visual expression appropriately into all of our products
- A stamina for meticulous design detailing and extensive iteration.
- Knowledge of illustration, photography, art, image making.
- Experience in media, journalism, publishing or related field, with an emphasis on building digital experiences that support storytelling and/or journalism
- Enthusiasm for, and ideally a reader/consumer of digital news products
- UX, UI, interaction, research, storytelling and design process and portfolio which showcases projects from beginning to end.
- Communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts.
- Respect when challenging assumptions; giving and receiving feedback with equal grace.
- Ability to work autonomously and oversee your design from beginning to end, but also equally comfortable in a collaborative environment, and willing to work with other team members when necessary.
- A people-focused design mentality.
- Excellent knowledge of the technologies used to build modern digital experiences.
- Well-rounded understanding of information architecture.
- A flexible and enthusiastic mindset willing to take on new challenges in response to changes in the industry or in the company
- Advanced skills in Figma, Sketch, Adobe creative suite, prototyping tools, animation.
- At minimum a working knowledge of html/css
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.